We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 night Road trip from Toronto

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
2 night Road trip from Toronto

My family (2 adults and 3 teenage children) will be travelling from Australia in April 2014 for a family member's birthday in Fort Erie ON. We are going to sneak off for about 3 days to go on a road trip and would love some ideas on where to go. I was thinking that we could do Toronto - Kingston - Algonquin Park. I know that that park is pretty much closed over winter but we don't have a choice of our dates due to this family event. The trip from Toronto to Kingston looks pretty easy but I am not sure where in Algonquin Park we should see. We would absolutely love to see some wildlife and the amazing scenery as we have only seen Toronto through to Fort Erie and of course the Niagara Falls region which is beautiful. Any ideas on stops along the way and hot spots to see particularly around Algonquin - it looks so big - very much appreciated.

And we really want to have time to explore so the driving time needs to be realistic so we are not in the car all day.

Any ideas, accommodation tips or other destination tips will be very welcome!

Thanks!!

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
604 posts
681 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 night Road trip from Toronto

We are currently entertaining 6 of our relos from Sydney. They have been with us since early December and we've taken many trips (Miami, NYC, Ottawa, Detroit). One other trip was a loop around Lake Ontario. Starting from our home near Toronto, we traveled east and spent one night in the Thousand Islands, then we crossed into the US and spent one night in Geneva (Finger Lakes region of New York state, and the last night at Niagara Falls, Ontario.

Will you have visas to visit the US?

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 night Road trip from Toronto

I would stick to Toronto/Southern Ontario if you only have 3 days. It would be about a 4 hour drive to Kingston and a 5 hour drive just to get to the western gate of Algonquin Park from Fort Erie. Not worth it, in my opinion, given your time constraints.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,671 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 night Road trip from Toronto

Agree with above - you don't have enough time to do both Kingston area and Algonquin. Best to choose one and stick with it. Kingston and the general area surrounding offer hiking etc. in the frontenac arch biosphere area. As well, there is more "civilization" in the area - restaurants, historical sites, wineries & arts in nearby Prince Edward County.

Algonquin is "shield country" - more outdoors, wilderness type.

Note that April is a transitional month - the melting of snow & ice, rain, damp, etc. So outdoor activities will be ruled by the weather.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 night Road trip from Toronto

I'd stick to Toronto if you only have two days....Kingston is great, but I would not say worth an effort with this tight of a time constraint....IMO....

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 night Road trip from Toronto

Algonquin Park is by no means closed over the winter. Most of the major facilities along the Highway 60 corridor are open all year, such as the visitors centre, hiking trails, organized interpretive events, even some campgrounds. There are also cross-country ski trails in Algonquin. Some of the side roads will be closed (preventing access to certain trails) but Highway 60 stays open and there's lots to do along its lenght.

Having said all that, April can be an awkward time to visit Algonquin. If you're lucky and it's early in the month, it will still be winter conditions, and you can go snowshoeing and stuff. But some time during the month it will all start to melt and make a big mess of everything, though the lakes typically stay iced over until the end of April, so no canoeing. This past spring there was a lot of flooding in Algonquin in April that shut off access to a lot of stuff. The spring before that came anomolously early, and most of the melt was done by early April, so you never know.

If you want to go to Algonquin you might leave that as a decision to be confirmed closer to the time based on how conditions are developing. And if Algonquin is where you go, just spend both of your nights there -- don't try to combine it with Kingston or you'll spend more time driving than doing anything fun.

For hiking and scenery, an alternative might be the Bruce Peninsula (Tobermory area), which will probably see spring conditions a little earlier than Algonquin.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 night Road trip from Toronto

I'm not sure if you need a VISA to enter the USA but if you went from Fort Erie to the Finger Lakes Region in upstate New York you'd see plenty of lovely scenery and to get there would take you less than 2 hours. If you click on the first link you will see on the map how close you are....Buffalo is across from Fort Erie. It's a great destination and if your home base is Fort Erie I'd say it's your best option.

http://www.fingerlakes.com/

http://www.fingerlakes.org/

http://www.letchworthpark.com/

http://visitfingerlakes.com/

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,761 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 night Road trip from Toronto

I'm fairly certain the OP would need to obtain an I-94W visa waiver form to enter the U.S. by land....$6.00 U.S. per person......fill out forms at the border crossing....takes 30-60 minutes approximately to process..

Edited: 13 January 2014, 16:08
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 night Road trip from Toronto

Thanks everyone. Something to consider.... So much to see - so little time. We will have our US visas so that won't be a problem but hoping to see more of Canada. We might just do one of the two having taken all of your advice into account. Just have to save hard an come again so we can see more!

9. Re: 2 night Road trip from Toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 05:18