We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara Falls and Toronto

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Niagara Falls and Toronto

Hello-

Our family of four (2 adults, 2 girls ages 18, 16) is considering a 3-stay in June. Am considering booking now, as there are some good hotel deals if I book early.

Should we first spend one night at Niagara Falls, and 2 in Toronto, or all three nights in Toronto with a day trip to Niagara? We'll be traveling with our car.

In Niagara we'd like to see: Clifton Hill, Fallsview Waterpark (maybe spend 3 hours there), and 2 attractions, like Maid of the Mist and Cave of the Winds.

In Toronto, we like: Eaton Centre, one night at theatre, Harbourfront Centre.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,706 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara Falls and Toronto

I suggest just staying in Toronto, and doing a day trip to Niagara Falls............no need to be inconvenienced by checking in/out of two hotels, when day trips are popular/feasible, and you have the car with you....

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,191 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara Falls and Toronto

I'd think it would be easier to stop in Niagara Falls first, rather than continuing on to Toronto, driving back to NF and then back again to Toronto.

Just so you know, Fallsview Waterpark daypasses are $45 per person, so that would be a very expensive 3 hours.

Maid of the Mist and Cave of the Winds are on the U.S. side, so that will require driving or walking across the Rainbow Bridge. Hornblower Niagara nows offers the boat tour from the Canadian side.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagara Falls and Toronto

another vote for all three nights in Toronto

Edited: 18 February 2014, 18:07
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,096 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Niagara Falls and Toronto

I agree with fallsdude .... do your one night in Niagara Falls, and then continue on to Toronto... or vice versa...

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Niagara Falls and Toronto

Wow---two votes for each side! Maybe I should give more consideration to our plans to see how much time we need at each place.

Should we do both Cave of the Winds AND Hornblower or Maid of the Mist? Am I over-estimating the time we'll need at Niagara? Should we stay to see the Niagara area at night?

I know it sounds like a short time to spend at Fallsview Waterpark (for the cost), but I actually think we'd only spend 3 hrs there (pay for our 2 teens only).

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,096 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Niagara Falls and Toronto

Are those the only things you want to do in Niagara Falls? Because you could easily do both the boat tour and Cave of Winds in a couple of hours (remember as noted Cave of the Winds and Maid of the Mist are on US side. Hornblower is on Canadian side). There are lots of things to do in NF. Have you looked at the NF page here on TA?

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154998-i97-Niagara…

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Niagara Falls and Toronto

Thank-you for the helpful information. There are very many things to do at Niagara Falls. We don't know exactly what we'll do, but the basic things would be: some type of falls boat ride or tour, Clifton Hill activities, Fallsview Waterpark visit, walk around the entire area.

If we stay overnight (considering Sheraton or Crowne Plaza), we could opt for: evening illumination boat ride, go to interesting restaurants, possible visit to Niagara-on-the-Lake.

Anyway, additional comments are appreciated as to whether it's worth it to spend a night at Niagara, or do a day visit from Toronto.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,729 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Niagara Falls and Toronto

Hi Jan865;

Toronto is Canada’s largest city, 4th largest in North America after Mexico City, New York, & Los Angeles. You could spend an entire week in Toronto and you would still have plenty to see & do !

Niagara Falls requires a minimum of 24 hours.

Best Regards

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Niagara Falls and Toronto

Thank-you to everyone for the responses! The Tripadvisor Forum is great.

At this point, I'm leaning toward staying in Toronto all three nights and doing a day trip to Niagara. I know we'll come back to Niagara at some point in the future, so I'm not too concerned about doing all of the activities. (It's about a 4 hour drive, which isn't too bad.)

I also agree that checking in/out of an extra hotel could be a bit more trouble. Actually, I think we'd have more control over the time in Niagara with a day trip from Toronto, as we'd be in closer proximity from Toronto than from Michigan--We could get possibly get there earlier/stay there later in an entire day, without the 4-hr Michigan drive being an issue. (Does that make sense?)

Plus, we could keep our suitcases in our Toronto hotel room, while we go to Niagara, without having to worry about check-out/check-in times if we'd like to spend more time at either location.

Thanks for helping me figure this out.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,729 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Niagara Falls and Toronto

You're Welcome, Jan !

I would suggest looking at a map of Ontario. Visiting Niagara Falls on the way to Toronto, or on the way back to Michigan, would make more sense than a day trip from Toronto. Leave your luggage in the car, spend a few hours sightseeing, and then carry-on.

Best Regards