We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car insurance / rental / hire for a 22 old UK national

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Car insurance / rental / hire for a 22 old UK national

Hello,

This is my first day posting on Tripadvisor so please bear with me!

Basically me and my girlfriend will be travelling around the Ontario/Quebec areas in July and were looking at renting a small car to explore the areas outside the major towns and cities for approximately a week or so.

At a glance it seems pretty expensive and not really clear as to extra charges etc.

Was basically wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to the best companies to use or where i'll find the best deal. She has family in Toronto so we could also potentially borrow a car from them but i'm again finding it difficult to find information and figures for car insurance in Canada for a 22 year old Brit!

Any suggestions and/or advice welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car insurance / rental / hire for a 22 old UK national

Moved to Ontario forum.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car insurance / rental / hire for a 22 old UK national

Most car rental agencies I know of around here slap a hefty surcharge on renters below the age of 25, in fact some don't even rent to that age. This is in addition to whatever insurance you may pay on the rental.

Would your girlfriend's (older) relatives be open to renting themselves a car at your expense, and lending you theirs? That would probably be cheaper than you renting a car for yourself.

Also, some credit cards offer the cardholder free colision damage waivers when used to rent a car; this would eliminate the need to purchase additional insurance. Some car owners' insurance policies also cover rental vehicles, or can have that feature added fairly inexpensively. Maybe connect with your girlfriend's relatives about whether these apply, as it would save you even more money.

Basic liability coverage (ie, the legal minimum) is included in car rentals, but if you don't buy additional insurance or have a collision damage waiver, you'll be on the hook for anything you do to the car itself.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,100 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car insurance / rental / hire for a 22 old UK national

Tweed's idea is excellent. I would add that the relatives would have to check if their own car insurance covered drivers other than themselves ... if not, they may be able to place a short-term rider on the policy to cover you and the vehicle while you were driving it. My policy covers whoever drives my vehicle with my permission, but not all policies do.The rental costs for under 25 drivers are very very high.

Depending on where you want to go outside the main cities, it may be possible for you to access areas by public transportation - train or bus. If you wanted to give us an idea of where you'd like travel we might be able to assist.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car insurance / rental / hire for a 22 old UK national

Good point about the additional driver insurance, phpr... I guess when I used this arrangement it was with my dad when I was 21 through 24, and I was already on his car insurance as an occasional driver. But you're right.

Public transportation will be an option for some towns and mid-sized cities, but if you want to go to outdoorsy destinations like parks or cottage country having a car is much better. There's a service called ParkBus that runs bus service to some major national and provincial parks, but their schedules are quite limited, and even if you managed to get to a place that way your activities would be limited without having a car.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,283 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car insurance / rental / hire for a 22 old UK national

Alex....................try the website I've linked to below..............they are very popular with U.K. residents looking for car hire in Canada.........the T & C's state they will rent to 21 year olds (some companies) with a daily surcharge of $27.00 /day........you could potentially find your answer on this site....good luck!

http://www.canadianaffair.com/en/car-hire

Edited: 25 April 2014, 05:49
6. Re: Car insurance / rental / hire for a 22 old UK national

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 April 2014, 17:35
7. Re: Car insurance / rental / hire for a 22 old UK national

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 14:10
Edited: 14 September 2014, 14:10