We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barrie to Toronto

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Barrie to Toronto

My husband and I have booked a holiday in Barrie in September this year, and he would like a day trip to Toronto to see the CN tower etc. We will hire a car whilst in Canada, but would prefer going into Toronto by train, is this possible from Barrie? If not is there a station we could drive to near-by that goes in Toronto? Or are we best driving in?

Any help much aprecaited!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Barrie to Toronto

GO Transit plans to extend its train service to Barrie in "late 2007", so you'll probably be a month or two too early.

Greyhound has direct bus service -- 17 buses daily. Travel time is an hour and 45 minutes. See www.greyhound.ca .

If you must go by train, GO trains go as far north as Bradford. You could drive there (though it's a small parking lot, so it may fill up early) or take a GO Bus from Barrie and transfer. But there are fewer trips and it takes a little longer than Greyhound. See gotransit.com/publicroot/… .

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Barrie to Toronto

Matt can you park free at Canada's wonderland at all? If so, they could drive south to Rutherford on 401 and park free there, then take TTC into TO.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Barrie to Toronto

Hmmm... Not sure how much, but they must charge for parking at Wonderland, since they sell season's parking passes on their web site. And the transit links from Wonderland aren't the greatest.

But I think you're suggesting row78 might want to drive most of the way but avoid downtown driving/parking hassles. For that, the best bet might be Yorkdale (Hwy 401 & Allen Rd) -- free parking and only 15-20 minutes from downtown by subway.

To avoid heavier traffic: don't try to leave Barrie before 8:30 am, wait until after dinner to head back out of Toronto, and go mid-week (Friday, Sunday, or Monday would be worst).

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Barrie to Toronto

I agree with you and will post something people from "Beds" can relate to.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Barrie to Toronto

I am assuming you have not been to Ontario before. All rental cars here are automatic transmissions. Most people here have no idea how to drive a manual. Our motorways are numbered in the 400's and thus known as 'The 400 series of highways' The first built was 400 which can be likened to the M1 from Bedford area. The second was 401 which is the transprovincial high across southern Ontario, and originally was the Toronto Bypass (Think M25). But Toronto has now out grown that and is reaching farther north. So if you take 400 south to 401. Think M1 to M25. The traffic is equally as bad. You will want to go 401 EAST. Think going M25 clockwise. The 401 is actually two motorways in one and separated by a fence. The centre is called "Express Lanes" The outside one is called "Collector Lanes". For first time visitors to Toronto my advice is stay in the Collector Lanes. Not only that, try and stay in the lane to the right hand side so that you are one lane over from the righthand side. The extreme right hand lane is the one for entering and exiting the motorway. So leaving 400 go 401 EAST collector lanes. The exits are numbered as distances. The flyover at 400/401 is numbered 21 on 400 and 359 on 401. I would recommend going two exits (first is 362) and exit at 364 which is Dufferin Street. Once off the motorway and down the slip road you will want to take Dufferin Street South. The aforementioned Yorkdale shopping centre is on your left. You can then drive to the extreme east end of the parking lot and park as close to the TTC subway station as possible. Take the Spadina Line all the way to Union Station. This puts you closest to the CN tower. You can walk around downtown and then when ready use any subway station and examine the map to see how to connect to the Spadina line to go back to Yorkdale Shopping Centre. This to Matt. Maybe it's easier to exit at 365 south on the Allen, but I don't know if it connects more easily to Yorkdale than Dufferin as I never use it. if you are thinking of going Barrie to Niagara Falls, just for your information, take 400 southto 401 and then go west to QEW and then QEW to Niagara (or by my analogy M1 to M25 go anti/counter clockwise to M23 and go to Brighton)

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Barrie to Toronto

Correction on my Niagara falls posting. Should be take 401 west to 403. Take 403 west to QEW. I am thinking that 401/403 combo is like the M25 and the QEW is like the M23

toronto,on
Level Contributor
390 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Barrie to Toronto

Driving to Yorkdale Mall and parking there is a good idea, if it is during the week and IF you get back to your car before the mall closes. They put big gates down when the mall is not open to discourage the transit people from parking there. SO if you arrive there after rush hour in the morning and are back by 9 pm or so to be safe, you'll be ok and parking there for free won't be a problem.

Then you just need to hop on the subway and will be downtown in no time.

When you come down the 400 highway, you go east on 401. Get into the collector lanes and get off at Dufferin. Once you start to exit at Dufferin, then there is another sign for Yorkdale Rd. ( so you don't actually end up going on Dufferen.) Take this into the mall and go to the very far side , which is where the subway station is.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barrie to Toronto

hank you very much everyone! Can't wait to see Canada now :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barrie to Toronto

May I ask what brings you to Barrie? You will very likely be landing in Toronto and could easlily head into the city from the airport. I live in Barrie and would be more than willing to answer questions

Toronto
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Barrie to Toronto

i currently live in Barrie and frequently have a need to travel to Toronto. There is a train service called GO transit that operates 4 trains from Barrie early in the morning and then 4 trains back to Barrie in the late afternoon and early evening. The cost of a round trip ticket for an adult is aproximately $20.80 Canadian Dollars. You can find the schedule, times and fares of all their services by going online at www.gotransit.com You want to look at the Go schedule #65 for the barrie to Toronto route.

You may find tour packages that include sitedeeing trips to the CN towers and other places in Toronto

You could also look at a bus company called travelways as they also have excursions to Toronto

Hope this helps