We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa waiver

Which Brampton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
glasgow
Level Contributor
3 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
visa waiver

Can anyone advise my friend is going to Canada to stay with her sister but are travelling through to New York by bus for a long weekend Does she need a visa waiver form to get into the states and which address does she put down is it her home here in Glasgow or her sisters in toronto. cant seem to get an answer to this question. Hope you can help.

Thanks

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,466 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visa waiver

Hi sallyw90;

As a citizen of the UK, upon entering the US your sister will be required to obtain an I-94W visa waiver as an addition to her passport. To obtain the waiver, she will be photographed, fingerprinted, and pay a fee of $6 US.

The I-94W visa waiver will be attached to her passport, and must be surrendered when she leaves the United States.

The process of obtaining the I-94W waiver takes on average ½ an hour.

The information provided much be factual...she is NOT a Canadian resident, she lives in the UK, so she must use her Glasgow address.

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: visa waiver

The I-94W Visa Waiver form requests "Address While in the United States" -- i.e. your NYC hotel's address, or if she's staying with a friend in NYC, your friend's home address. She cannot use a UK or Canadian address, no matter how factual it is.

If you've heard about "ESTA", a system for filling out the form in advance online, ignore that. It doesn't apply when your first entry to the US is at a land border crossing.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,466 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visa waiver

Thanks for the clarification Matt.

The OP asked “which address does she put down is it her home here in Glasgow or her sisters in toronto.” Of those two, the correct answer is her place of residence, which is what my answer addressed.

Best Regards

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,466 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visa waiver

I should have added…

I understood the question to be about her place of residency. The answer to “Address While in the US” obviously would not / could not be an address outside of the USA.

Best Regards

glasgow
Level Contributor
3 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visa waiver

Thanks for your information

Sally

glasgow
Level Contributor
3 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visa waiver

Thanks for your information

Sally

7. Re: visa waiver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 03:20
Get answers to your questions about Brampton
More Brampton Topics