We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staybridge Suites on Market - Surrounding area not nice?

Which Hamilton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Staybridge Suites on Market - Surrounding area not nice?

I got a very good rate at the Staybridge Suites on Market St. in downtown Hamilton for an August family reunion. My aunt, who lives in Hamilton, has warned me not to stay there. She couldn't really offer up a good reason, though. All she could say was, "You don't want to be there."

Do I really not want to be there? What's wrong with the location?

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Staybridge Suites on Market - Surrounding area not nice?

They are located right downtown. Perhaps it maybe that some 'dodgy' people hang around down there. Probably in daylight it's OK, but maybe late at night there could be street lurkers and ladies of the evening. I don't know for sure, perhaps someone else knows for sure.

Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staybridge Suites on Market - Surrounding area not nice?

Hi There,

Depending on where your family reunion is you may want to consider staying on the "Mountain". The downtown core of Hamilton died along time ago and now as soon as normal office hours end at 5pm everyone high tails it out of there. Anything up on the escarpment is usually nicer and in my opinion a little safer. If you want to stay below the escarpment I would recommend the Admiral Inn on Dundurn St or the Visitor Inn on Main St...both are just regular hotels, nothing super fancy but they are both clean and in a better area. If you're looking for something nice I would suggest the Ancaster area...probably a little bit more expensive but its a much nicer area. If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me.

Hope this helps, have fun at your reunion!

Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staybridge Suites on Market - Surrounding area not nice?

Hi Mona,

I tried to REPLY but accidentally put it in a new post so here it is again.....

If you are going to be taking a taxi to your hotel, or getting dropped off, I don't think it really matters that much where you are in the city. I live downtown, and the Market Street area is just a little dead at night (fairly residential), so I wouldn't want to be walking around by myself late at night (as a woman) but if I was getting driven to the door, then no big deal.

Just curious: does your aunt live on the mountain? I've found that some Hamiltonians who live on the mountain fear the downtown; that could be why she is warning you off this neighbourhood.

I used to live in Montreal too, and if you're used to downtown Montreal, then Hamilton is not going to phase you at all. LOL

caistorville ontario
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staybridge Suites on Market - Surrounding area not nice?

I agree with canadiangirl.... I have always been a Hamilton supporter, but I wouldn't be wakking around there at night (and except that it's his job, my neighbour who is a police officer wouldn't either.

Dodgy" is putting it politely...lots of drugs (notably crack) and, of course, the sorts of crime you might expect along with it.

The Marriot has just opened a new hotel on upper james street, and it is very handy for Hamilton airport

Stirling, Scotland
Level Contributor
5 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staybridge Suites on Market - Surrounding area not nice?

I'm just back from a stay in Hamilton at the Staybridge. Hotel was great - the staff were so friendly. Really nice hotel and I'll definitely go back.

My 15year old daughter and I walked around quite often in the evenings and I'm surprised to read of warnings about the area. It was a bit quiet but we did not feel concerned at all.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staybridge Suites on Market - Surrounding area not nice?

We stayed at the staybridge suites in january when we were there for our cirtizenship ceremony. Admittedly we didn't leave the hotel at night so i can't comment on what the area would be like to walk around. However the hotel was great and i would recommend it and as somebody said previously if you are taxiing or hire car from the reunion to the hotel i can't see there would be any problem.

7. Re: Staybridge Suites on Market - Surrounding area not nice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 23:18