We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitor's Inn or the Hamilton Inn Motel?

Which Hamilton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Ontario
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visitor's Inn or the Hamilton Inn Motel?

Hi - has anyone stayed in either of these hotels recently? I've looked them both up and find that the reviews are dated. I have bookings at both for rooms during the Ride to Conquer Cancer the weekend (which I will be riding in) of June 12 -13th, and need to release one or the other. I do think that the Visitors Inn is pretty close to McMaster University, which would be great- not sure about the Hamilton Inn- probably close enough. The Hamilton Inn is only $70 approx for the night and the Visitor's is $199. I just wanted to see if anyone thought that the $199 was worth it...its not the actual cost - its the value for the dollar, cleanliness, staff, etc etc. I hope someone can comment. Thanks!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visitor's Inn or the Hamilton Inn Motel?

Hello,

I've never stayed at either hotel although we are in a wedding late Aug that has recommended the Visitor's Inn. The wedding couple mentioned that the hotel wasn't anything special -- so that may be indication of the value ($199 seems v. high). Unfortunately Hamilton is lacking hotels other than in the city core.

I think the hotel's are approx equi-distant from Mac although the Visitor's Inn is on a portion of Main West that is one-way (opposite direction from Mac) you'll have to cross the highway, and loop back down King St W to get to Mac. This can be confusing and it's definitely a hassle. You could probably cheat and zip across on a slight angle to the side street that will take you over to King St W.

Sorry I can't be much help. If you're considering paying $199 I'd look at staying downtown, the drive wouldn't be much longer (compared to Visitor's Inn) as the traffic lights are well sync'd.

Toronto, Ontario
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visitor's Inn or the Hamilton Inn Motel?

Thanks so mucvh! I didn't expect a lot of response regarding a motel/hotel in Hamilton (no offence to the wonderful people of Hamilton!), but I agree - seesm a little high. I think I'll go with the lower cost and save a couple of bucks (to say the least)!

Toronto
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Visitor's Inn or the Hamilton Inn Motel?

Incidentally I live across the street from the Visitor's Inn. If you don't have a car the location is great (very close to McMaster and Westdale). If you do have a car the Hamilton Inn is not more than a 5 min drive away, and also very close to McMaster. $199 seems VERY steep for the Visitors Inn, especially considering you probably just need a place to sleep before and after your race. While it does have a pool and a dining area, I would highly recommend staying at the cheaper Hamilton Inn, and then driving over to Westdale and having lunch or dinner at the Bean Bar (great restaurant IMO). For breakfast, there's a number of places around ranging from Boston Pizza to the Pancake House (both on Main st. beside McMaster)...i recommend the Pancake House.

Toronto, Ontario
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Visitor's Inn or the Hamilton Inn Motel?

Thanks. With the 2 day Ride to Conquer Cancer, we start out(all 2,500 cyclists) from CNE and cycle to Hamilton. It's 100k and there are lots of pitstops. When everyone arrives at McMaster, there is a "tent city" for everyone for the Saturday night. For those who don't want to tent it, there were 2 or 3 hotels that had blocks of rooms reserved. Those rooms were gone not 2 minutes after the notice was released on-line to everyone about which hotels etc etc. So, what i did was get online and search for motels/hotels in the area. I don't get a discount, but I don't really care because I got a room. :)

I think I'll take the Hamilton Inn over the Visitors Inn. When we arrive after our first day of riding, there will be food and drink and massages and medical tents for those in need. Hardly any showers and all porto potties. Maybe I can call a cab to come and get me and take me to the Inn. I will need to be back at McMaster early on Sunday morning, chow down on a little breakfast and be ready to ride the rest of the way to Niagara Falls (another 100k). So all I want is a hot shower and a warm, soft bed for this old back of mine. Once in Niagara, we cross the finish line, little bit of a party and then back home to Whitby. I would have loved to take you up on your recommendations for restaurants, but I'll be too busy grunting my way to wine country - for a good cause! J

Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
409 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visitor's Inn or the Hamilton Inn Motel?

Try hotwire.com. They have a 3.5 star for $72.00. This would be either the sheraton or the staybridge suites. I would not pay 199 for the visitors inn. I'm

not familiar with the hamilton inn. There is also a new days inn downtown that is getting decent reviews.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visitor's Inn or the Hamilton Inn Motel?

I just checked The Visitor's Inn website and the rooms that go for $199.00 a night were the rooms with a jacuzi in them. The standard room rate is $139.00. Perhaps you should try your search again..... And if you do cross the street when you get a break in the traffic flow on Main Street, you will turn left on to Macklin Street, travel up two blocks and turn right onto King Street (make sure you get over to the right, right away or the road dwill take you back to main street again). Hope this helps....

7. Re: Visitor's Inn or the Hamilton Inn Motel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2009, 05:22