We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in Kingston

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights in Kingston

We are travelling from Toronto to Kingston by car next summer - we have decided to stay in Kingston for 2 nights (we intend to do a 1000 island trip). Not having read much about Kingston in my Canada guide it would be great if someone could recommend a 4* hotel in a good location. From Kingston we are travelling to Montreal for 3 nights. Will have a look at Montreal forums too.

Many thanks

Newtonville...
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in Kingston

Hi Neep

Kingston is a great place to stop for a two night stay. I would recommend the Holiday Inn on the waterfront. It can be a little pricey but we have stayed there several times in the past couple of years and been very pleased. I would suggest traveling a little further east to Gannanoque for the 1000 isle tour as it is more in the heart of the islands................Over to you Wine 4 2

Dan

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in Kingston

Thanks for the quick response.... and the advice regarding the 1000 island cruise - I will research the Holiday Inn

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,756 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in Kingston

Hi Neep;

The town of Gananoque (pronounced GAN-AN-OCK-WAY), the "Gateway to the Thousand Islands" is located 18 mile / 28 km east of Kingston. From there you can take a boat tour of the 1000 Islands offered by the Gananoque Boat Lines.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g182143-d13…

www.ganboatline.com/

They offer 1 hr, 2.5 hr, 5 hr, and 8 hour tours. The 5 hour tour stops at Boldt Castle, which was built in 1900 by the former owner of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. If you wish to walk about the island and tour through the castle, you will need to clear U.S. Customs, as the island is in American waters. Be sure that you bring your identification as required.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g29794-d105…

www.boldtcastle.com/

Best Regards

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights in Kingston

Hi Neep,

Welcome to the KINGSTON TRAVEL FORUM.

Great info here from my colleagues… let me add some more.

As a Minimum one should count on spending one overnight in Kingston & the 1000 Islands area… depending on what you plan to do with your time once in the region (and what time of day you arrive from Toronto… depart for your next location, etc).

A typical visit means arriving around mid-day and either enjoying an Afternoon Cruise thru the Islands, or a visit to Old Fort Henry. Evening can be spent either exploring Kingston’s Waterfront, or taking in a performance at the 1000 Island Playhouse in Gananoque. Then the following morning seeing whatever you didn’t the day before before departing on to the nearby cities of Toronto or Montreal (3 Hours) or Ottawa (2 Hours) all calculations based on Expressway Travel.

One can certainly make Kingston a base for exploring the Historic Rideau Canal Waterway as well… but many choose to do that as a day excursion enroute to or from Ottawa. Pack a picnic lunch and enjoy one of the many Parks Canada facilities at the various Lock Stations.

When it comes to accommodations in the Kingston & 1000 Islands area here are my picks… (check them out in the TA HOTELS REVIEW Section – the Kingston ones can be found by using the KINGSTON HOTELS Button to the left of this screen... the others in the TA GANANOQUE TRAVEL PAGES).

As always with TA REVIEWS take into account both the Stats portion as well as the comments... (pay particular attention to the Contribution Numbers for the TA Members when looking at Comments... those who have higher numbers tend to be more "invested" in the TA Website, and both getting & giving / sharing info). Means that they've probably done some Research about their trip BEFORE Travelling, so they'd be most aware of the Pros & Cons of each Destination and what to expect. (LOL... fewer poor Hotel Ratings because of things that are NOT Hotel related, like the Weather).

KINGSTON – First off NO Hotel Industry 4 Star Hotels in Kingston (just isn’t the market in this small city)… BUT here are some well rated Accommodations, that I myself am quite familiar with (Rankings are as of today – Sunday, October 24, 2010 at just before 1 PM EDT).

# 2 – Residence Inn Kingston Water’s Edge – NEW construction this summer. Currently unrated by the Hotel Industry. Has 4-1/2 HOOTS for TA Member Satisfaction. At this point, I’ve only seen the Ground Floor (Lobby etc) but it looks great. Well located on the Waterfront.

# 5 – Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston – A 3 Star Hotel that is well established in the downtown area (2 Blocks from the Waterfront). Has 4 HOOTS for TA Member Satisfaction. Popular with Business Customers. Decent Restaurant.

# 10 – Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront – A 3 Star Hotel that is right in the heart of the Kingston Waterfront. Has 3-1/2 HOOTS for TA Member Satisfaction. Has undergone a HUGE Refurbishment in the last year (personally feel that the current TA Ranking is a little low, as Reviews PRIOR to the refurb are still counted into the mix). Mr Wine & I have both stayed here in the past (business & leisure)… but not since the refurb. However we did take a tour of the Hotel this summer since the facelift and it looks wonderful, and had a drink in the Dox Bar.

And from the B&B / INNS Category…

# 6 – Frontenac Club Inn – An Inn that is a short walk from the Waterfront… housed in a historic building. Has 4-1/2 HOOTS for TA Member Satisfaction.

GANANOQUE (Gateway to the 1000 Islands) – If Kingston is a small city… Gananoque isn’t much more than a small town. So NO Hotel Industry 4 Star Hotels in this location either, infact as a summertime destination in “cottage country” you’ll find most things here are very casual. BUT there are some Accommodations that I have stayed at or visited over the years and would recommend. (Rankings are as of today – Sunday, October 24, 2010 at just after 2 PM EDT).

# 1 – Holiday Inn Express Suites Gananoque – A 2-1/2 Star Hotel on “Hotel Row” at the east end of town near where the 1000 Island Parkway begins & Hwy 401. Built within the last 5 Years, and by all accounts well maintained. Believe my colleague RESCUE TEAM has stayed there. Has 4-1/2 HOOTS for TA Member Satisfaction.

The rest of the Hotels in Gananoque are fairly basic… ones that I have stayed at over the years include… The Clarion Inn and Conference Centre Gananoque (# 5) and the Quality Inn & Suites 1000 Islands (# 6).

And from the B&Bs / INNS Category…

# 5 – Islandview Inn – Located near to the Cruise Terminal… a small intimate Inn. I haven’t stayed here, but I believe my colleague RESCUE TEAM has. This property has 5 HOOTS for TA Member Satisfaction.

# 6 – Athlone Inn – I haven’t stayed here, but did a tour last summer… looked quite comfortable. Is in the more historic area of town. Restaurant was reviewed locally in Ottawa by the *Ottawa Citizen* Restaurant Critic and took top marks… Mr Wine & I haven’t been as of yet… but as fine food & wine lovers we are intrigued. When I did the tour last summer I was impressed with the gorgeous Dining Room and how nice everyone at the Inn was (very well informed staff). Has 4-1/2 HOOTS for TA Member Satisfaction.

# 7 – The Gananoque Inn & Spa – A 3 Star Inn that sits right on the waterfront near to the Cruise Terminal. Has 4 HOOTS for TA Member Satisfaction. I have stayed here in the last 18 Months and quite enjoyed it. Decent Restaurant that overlooks the water.

Restaurants are a bit harder to come by in smaller Gananoque… but I can also make some recommendations if you do choose to stay in town.

As you stated you are not familiar with this area of the Province, I have compiled a bit of a Backgrounder for you… with much info on Kingston & the 1000 Islands, and how to incorporate it into a bigger Itinerary for Quebec & Ontario… and as it is very long, will forward it to you via PM.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights in Kingston

Wow! Thankyou for all that information - certainly will make choosing somewhere to stay much easier. Thanks again

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights in Kingston

Hi Neep,

You are very welcome... PM now on its way to you with BACKGROUNDER info on the region.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

7. Re: 2 nights in Kingston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Kingston