We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report (two nights - two dinners) rather long :)

Which Kingston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report (two nights - two dinners) rather long :)

Well...back home safe and sound. Thanks to my TA friends for your assistance – here is my trip report.

Arrived in Kingston on Friday to beautiful warm weather - first stop was "Tangos" for lunch. Wow - so glad we stopped here. We ordered the lunch special sandwich which was a Mango Chicken Wrap with salad, also shared a plate of Tapico Shrimp (to die for) and a plate of the Guacamole (wonderful presentation). The entire lunch was delightful and the ambience very soothing (Nora Jones CD playing in the background - right up my street).

We spent the sunny afternoon walking up and down the streets, shopping and stopping in the sun. There was an outdoor skating rink set up behind city hall – however it was closed due to the warm temperature that day. It was opened again before we left and would be a fantastic activity to do if you are visiting before the real thaw. We did not see a place to rent skates so you would have to bring your own.

Checked in to the Residence Inn late afternoon and had a good poke around the hotel. We had a two room suite. There was a king size bed in one room with a living room and kitchen facilities in the other. It was a perfect space for a winter weekend getaway, where you might want to spend more time inside. We spent a fair amount of time in the room relaxing and reading.

The room was classified as "waterfront view" - however the view was mostly taken up by the apartment building directly opposite. In future I would request the "city view" side - which looks out over the boat marina and has a much more open vista.

As it was winter we were not too concerned with the view - and we did see some crazy folks out on the shaky ice with wind surfers and also two skaters that made me nervous to watch :)

The hotel was really nice and clean. Although we did not bring bathing suits - we checked out the pool area and wished that we had. There is a nice looking restaurant in the hotel - although we did not eat there, the menu looked good. Breakfast is included and I'll report on that later.

Friday evening we ended up at the KEG!! Yup - not even on the "to do" list -however we were given a hefty gift certificate to use so steak it was. We actually think that the KEG has the best filet mignon ever - it is usually always consistently good and we were not disappointed. Veggies were the usual mush but the potato always scores well. I was pleasantly surprised with the Robert Mondavi Cab Sauv – which is not usually my choice – but it was excellent.

Saturday (and Sunday) morning breakfast was included in the room rate. It was really good...included fresh fruit, 3 types of yogurt, breads, bagels, muffins, hot oatmeal and cold cereals, scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage patties, pancakes, juice, tea and coffee. The seating area is not overly large but when it filled up the overflow was directed to the restaurant facility next door. Weekend breakfast was served between 7-10am.

Saturday during breakfast a blizzard blew in - weather changed to bitter cold overnight. As most of you know there is not much to do in Kingston in the winter – we had already walked the streets on Friday so we decided to brave the bad weather and we headed off to the Salmon Run Mall in Watertown (USA). Even in the storm it only took us a little over an hour to get there. Did the mall - ate in the food court - won't waste your time on that review :)

Saturday night we had reservations at Chez Piggy. I had the table d’hôte which included a nice light salad of heirloom beets with goats cheese, followed by Pistachio crusted rack of Lamb (fantastic) and included a dessert of your choice – I chose the chocolate cheesecake. Good value for $37. Mr. Jane13 started with a Caesar salad followed by the pasta special which was Cavatappi with Arugula Hazelnut Pesto and chicken. We added two glasses of wine and one bottle of San Pellegrino – total before taxes $110.

We always enjoy eating at Chez Piggy – the food is always good. Our service was a little “off” – the waitress was quite forgetful and we had to ask for bread twice – and I finally got up the third time to remind her again. We still enjoyed our meal though.

We left Kingston on Sunday – stuffed to the gills from the breakfast buffet so did not stop for lunch on our way home to Ottawa.

Bottom line – no, there is not a lot to do in Kingston in the winter time – HOWEVER there is certainly a lot of good food and good times to be had. Thanks again TA!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report (two nights - two dinners) rather long :)

Hi Jane13Ottawa,

Welcome to the KINGSTON TRAVEL FORUM.

Great TripReport… thanks for sharing.

The reason I LOVE TripReports, is I always learn something new… and yours was no exception.

Your Dinner at Chez Piggy sounded marvellous too… I am drooling over the description of the Rack of Lamb…

As for The Keg… too funny… that kind of stuff happens to Mr Wine & I all the time… infact right now we too have a Gift Certificate left over from Christmas… not quite sure where we’ll use it, but there is a good chance it could be on a Weekend Getaway (Kingston – Niagara FallsMontreal ???)

As well… I’ve been planning to get down to Kingston and check out the Residence Inn… your info (and I hope a pending HOTEL REVIEW) has made me really, really want to do so soon !!

Lucky you, having amazing weather on Friday (the Mid Winter Thaw brought with it record breaking temps above 10 C… incredible day). Must have been very Spring-like in Kingston… which I always enjoy… it really is a city that is at its best when the weather cooperates.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… Got a chuckle out of the side-trip to Watertown’s Salmon Run Mall… indeed browsing or shopping is a good way to spend a “blustery” day.

Edited: 22 February 2011, 19:17
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report (two nights - two dinners) rather long :)

Hi Wine-4-2,

Yes - I can still taste those lovely lamb chops (sigh).

It's about time you had a weekend getaway - go for it - just remember to report back.

Yes - I promise to post a couple of official reviews - it is on my list to do.

Now....next trip for me is to Las Vegas in April - don't suppose you are a DE over there too? See you somewhere on the forums soon :)

Jane

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report (two nights - two dinners) rather long :)

Thanks for the great trip review! Makes me hungry just reading it. You're descriptions are very good.

ktown

p.s. I am an occasional poster and regular lurker on the Vegas forums. Perhaps I'll see you there!

Edited: 22 February 2011, 19:48
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report (two nights - two dinners) rather long :)

Hi Jane13Ottawa,

We were away over Christmas... and due to "circumstances" didn't get away for Valentines :-(

Hoping to pop in a Winter Weekend Getaway within the next month or so... if I go longer than 60 Days with a road trip... I get very antsy !! LOL

Vegas sounds nice in April... (not a big gambler... infact never been to "Sin City".. so no you won't see me on that particular FORUM)... BUT, then again TA is a small world... so like KTOWNTRAVLLR has said you'll probably see quite a few familiar names & avatars on that FORUM as well.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
554 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report (two nights - two dinners) rather long :)

Hello Jane13Ottawa,

Thank you for giving a trip report. I enjoyed reading your experiences. Hopefully you have time to write reviews for each place you visited.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report (two nights - two dinners) rather long :)

Hey Ktowntravllr - thanks for the feedback :) I'll take a peek for you over in TA Vegas land.

Wine-4-2 I completely understand the "antsy" feeling - I have extremely itchy feet (as my Mum constantly tells me) and I do not feel complete unless I am planning the "next" trip. Mr Jane13 laughs at me as we had not finished Kingston and I was already jumping past Vegas(April) , past England (May) and talking about our August getaway to Maine - ha - You do like Quebec City - I think you should head up there soon. I am not overly fond of Vegas - I have to go every year for a work conference. This year with TA's help I am hoping to make my week there a little more bearable :)

Yes IrishHoneymooner - I will try and post proper reviews today at lunch break.

Thanks again everyone.

Now....where did I leave that map?

7. Re: Trip Report (two nights - two dinners) rather long :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 02:20