We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eastern Ontario get together

Brantford, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Eastern Ontario get together

We are 5 families from all over Ontario (Ottawa,Brantford,Markam,Barrie,Orillia) that wants to get together for a weekend in May. We are looking for a family hotel that has an atrium or centrally located pool area where the kids can play in the pool while the adults hang out beside their rooms within earshot of the pool. It looks like all the hotels I have found have a seperate pool area away from rooms. Is there anything else out there instead of Niagra Falls?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eastern Ontario get together

Hi Dohhed,

Welcome to the KINGSTON TRAVEL FORUM.

And I see that you are also NEW to the TA FORUMS… so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

My kids are grown up now… so I don’t have a lot of need for such accommodations… but from what I do know, these kinds of set-ups are pretty rare (might have to do the problems associated with ventilation etc in our Extreme Climate… and especially the moisture that such a facility would generate to the close proximity of the rooms… most Hotel Pools being quite sealed off from the rest of the hotel).

Although as you’ve discovered many Hotels have pool areas… and some of them are quite nice (ie Delta Ottawa has a Waterslide) few have an Atrium Set-Up… one of the few that I know of is the Travelodge West here in Ottawa… but sadly it gets quite mixed Reviews here on TA…

Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West = tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g155004-d188448…

Hope this is (somewhat) helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… Lol, I know of a “great” location in Quebec City if your family reunion wants to ever relocate farther east.

PPS... Niagara has 4 Syllables... Ni-ag-a-ra... not 3... there is an extra "A" in there... so it doesn't really rhyme with the famous "little blue pill"

;-) *wink*

Edited: 17 April 2011, 01:38
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eastern Ontario get together

The Ramada Inn in Belleville has an outdoor pool that the balconies of the waterview rooms look out over. The pool has indoor access, so is actually open year round. You can't just pop down to the pool easily though - you'd have to go back through your room and down the stairs/elevator and into the recreation area. Depends on the ages of the kids...younger ones really need to be supervised more closely than that of course. There is also a water slide in the indoor pool area for the kids. http://www.bellevilleramada.com/

Holiday Inn built quite a few of those atrium style hotels years ago, so you might want to check them out. Off hand I can think of one in Brampton and one in Guelph I think it was. I'm sure there are others.

ktown

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eastern Ontario get together

Hi Dohhed,

I too thought of some Holiday Inns that I have enjoyed in the past… the Holiday Inn Yorkdale (next to Yorkdale Shopping Centre off the 401) immediately came to mind… but the rooms like KTOWNTRAVLLR stated all tend to just offer up juliette balconies from higher floors… and no true access to the pool deck etc.

TA Photo – Holiday Inn Yorkdale (Pool Area) = tripadvisor.com/…29355650

Photo clearly shows that there is a Pool Atrium with rooms around it… but none having direct access to the Pool Deck itself.

I have stayed at this hotel and loved it… between the Hotel (Room, Pool, Hot-Tub, Fitness Area, Restaurant, and proximity to Yorkdale Mall & the 401 it is a GREAT weekend getaway location).

--- --- ---

Based on my understanding of what you are looking for in the way of layout, it probably is more though like what the Travelodge Ottawa West offers… but as I said, it gets mixed Reviews… currently ranked at # 39 (out of 56 Hotels in Ottawa) it is a 3 Star Hotel (as awarded by the Hotel Industry based on Amenities) and has 3 HOOTS for TA Member Satisfaction (based on HOTEL REVIEWS submitted here on TA). Todate there are 71 Reviews, and of that 5 gave it an Excellent, 23 gave it a Very Good, 12 gave it an Average, 12 gave it a Poor, and 19 gave it a Terrible which accounts for its 55% THUMBS DOWN recommendations (heavily bottom rated with 31 Reviews in the Poor & Terrible classifications… vs 28 in the Excellent & Very Good classifications).

TA REVIEW - Travellodge Hotel & Convention Centre Ottawa West = tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g155004-d188448…

I haven’t personally stayed at this Hotel in years… it really is regarded as a middle of the road more economical hotel for families that is away from downtown (about 10 Minute drive). The “waterpark” (as it is called) does seem to make it even more popular… and I’ve heard a lot of good things about their wave pool.

TA Photo – Travelodge Ottawa West (Pool Area) = tripadvisor.com/…21460647

Again the photo shows the Pool Atrium with rooms around it… not sure how good the access is to the Pool Deck itself, but it appears as if rooms on the ground floor have French Doors with access.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… Tried to find a similar photo here on TA for the Ramada Belleville Pool Area… and nothing (infact there isn’t even a pool photo on the Hotel Website… weird?)

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eastern Ontario get together

dohhed

I have just started following the TA forums and noticed that you were looking for an Eastern Ontario location last year. if you didn't find anything and are looking again for this coming year you might want to look at the Ambassador Conference Resort in Kingston. They don't have the rooms overlooking the waterpark area however the few times we have done "staycations" at the Ambassador with other couples we were able to relax around the pool or in the hot tub with drinks while the kids played. So it might be worth checking out.

Ontario
Level Contributor
125 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eastern Ontario get together

The Ambassador is a good suggestion for this person indeed. However, I would also suggest asking for rooms on a LOWER floor. The reason is that the rooms at the Ambassador get exceedingly hot on the upper floors. We stayed there when we were looking to buy a home in Kingston but, were still living in the Ottawa area. I am originally from the deep south and I love hot, hot weather that usually melts my companions and even I was dying in that room. We slept with no blankets and scant clothing tmi, I know but, beware. You will be tossing the night away and running for a cold cloth, anything to refresh you.The steam from the indoor water park and the heat just rises and rises.

Lower floors were fine and dandy. I loved the sauna area near the pool and yes my then nine year old son loved the pool and slides.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,646 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eastern Ontario get together

The OP posted this query in April, for a stay in May.

Old post.

7. Re: Eastern Ontario get together

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 11:16
Get answers to your questions about Kingston