We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park on Wolfe and ferry to Kingston?

Groveland, FL
Level Contributor
11 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Park on Wolfe and ferry to Kingston?

If I'm traveling from the U.S. to Kingston I thought someone recommended leaving your car on Wolfe Island then taking the ferry over and walking the town. Is that doable? Thanks!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,087 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Park on Wolfe and ferry to Kingston?

I don't see why not, the ferry terminal on the Kingston side is easy walking distance from the downtown core. Depends what you're doing in Kingston, if you're just going for a stroll there and returning the same day it's fine, but I'm not sure what overnight parking is available in Marysville (the village where the terminal is on the Wolfe Island side), and of course you'd have to lug your baggage from the Kingston terminal to wherever you're staying or take a cab. The only advantage I guess would be not having to worry about getting your car on the ferry before it fills up, since there's always space for walk-ons. Not sure why else one would recommend it. The Marysville-Kingston ferry is free with or without a car, and the ferry onto Wolfe from the American side is fairly cheap.

Groveland, FL
Level Contributor
11 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park on Wolfe and ferry to Kingston?

No baggage. Staying in Alexandria Bay. Just want to go to Kingston for the day. I think parking is free on Wolfe at the terminal and then I don't have to pay for my car to cross there.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park on Wolfe and ferry to Kingston?

I highly doubt there would be overnight parking on Wolfe at the ferry area... In fact from my experience there's very little parking... period... at that dock area. As TWS notes, the ferry is free ... and relatively large ... and it runs continuously, so not a long wait at either side.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,087 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Park on Wolfe and ferry to Kingston?

OK well, as you're probably aware the more direct way to get from Alexandria Bay to Kingston would be to simply drive accross the border on the Thousand Islands Bridge, then to Kingston on the 401, no ferries involved.

But if you'd find it more enjoyable to drive from Alexandria Bay to Cape Vincent, NY, put your car on the ferry to Point Alexandria (Wolfe Island), then drive across the island to Marysville, park there and take the ferry to Kingston as a pedestrian, returning the same way the same day, I see no reason you couldn't do that. However, as I said in my first reply, the Marysville-Kingston ferry is free with or without your car. It's the Cape Vincent-Point Alexandria ferry that charges money, though it's fairly inexpensive from what I remember.

The ferry is fairly large, however at peak times it does reach its capacity for cars. When trying to cross by car I've sometimes not made it on, and had to leave my car at the front of the line for the next sailing. Leaving your car on the island would mean you don't have to worry about getting there early if it's a busy crossing time.

For most of the day, the one ferry sails back and forth between Kingston and Marysville continuously, making the round trip once per hour: it's a 20 minute crossing each way, plus 10 minutes loading/unloading at either dock. I'm not as familiar with how things work on the Cape Vincent-Wolfe Island ferry crossing, though it seems to be a much shorter and less busy crossing. I've been out to the dock on the Canadian side and it seems pretty quiet.

Edit: Just checked -- the Cape Vincent-Wolfe Island crossing (Horne's Ferry) would cross $20 for a same-day round trip with a car, and sails about every hour: www.hornesferry.com/travel-information/ The Marysville-Kingston crossing schedule is here, http://www.wolfeisland.com/ferry.php#wolfe

Edited: 23 August 2013, 16:54
Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park on Wolfe and ferry to Kingston?

I'm sure it doesn't happen often, but I have seen the ferry fill up and leave with a bunch of walk-ons left waiting on shore. This was on a Saturday afternoon 2 or 3 weeks ago. Depending on when you are coming and what day of the week, you probably won't have a problem.

6. Re: Park on Wolfe and ferry to Kingston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Kingston