We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities weekend of Aug 25/26th

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Activities weekend of Aug 25/26th

Unexpected overnight trip to London...are there any festivals etc. this weekend? Anything else interesting to take in? will be staying at Quality Inn/Suites...got a great deal on Priceline!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
Ontario, Canada
Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities weekend of Aug 25/26th

Hi, vanclan - am still looking in the L FreeP for anything, have to post again after the "Let s Go!" section tomorrow. Thank you for posting you got the room by Priceline. Hadn't thought of it for relatively small London. After finding the betterbidding site - where I saw another post by you - made my first ever Priceline bid. Accepted - Probably means I should have started lower! Anyway, my dad has a room for the night before his surgery at 0:dark hundred on September 5 (yes, I remembered reservations are not transferrable, used his name with his credit card) Total cost US $64 = C$72 all incl. for Delta London Armouries. Best price anywhere else was C$130+taxes. (I know - you paid less for the Quality.... and got free breakfast+free parking)

Mentioned in this post
London
London
Ontario, Canada
London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities weekend of Aug 25/26th

Hi vanclan~

fannish has a good suggestion to check out the Free Press "what's on" page. While waiting for anything else to show up in the LFP you might want to have a look at this article for Museum London:

lfpress.ca/newsstand/…1766112.html

Not sure if that is of interest for you at all but you could tie it in with a dinner or lunch at the Museum's fabulous restaurant, On the Fork, if you like too.

Unfortunately you just missed the Balloon Festival and Rib Fest this month, but I'm sure you can find something to keep you busy in town. I'll be moving kids from one apartment to another in London this weekend.....not exactly what I'm looking forward to. :-}

Have a great weekend!

Mentioned in this post
Museum London
Museum London
65 Reviews
London, Canada
London
London
Ontario, Canada
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities weekend of Aug 25/26th

Thanks Fannish and Tobie for your replies. Fannish you still got a great deal on Delta Armouries. You might have got it for less, but hey, you still got an amazing price. I usually start ahead and bid a ridiculously low bid and then move up. sometimes I can get free rebids...sometimes I have to wait til the 24 hours have passed. I didn't bid for any downtown sites such as Delta Armouries only because I knew I'd have to pay for parking. Someone mentioned the parking is listed as $6.00 per day BUT the day starts around 3 am so you end up paying around $10.00 per day because you have a portion of the previous day.

I got Quality Suites for $41US plus taxes etc of 12.22 to make a total of 53.22 US. It's not one of the Suites rooms (ie 2 rooms with Queen bedfrig microwave etc.) It's 2 double beds but has a small bar fridge....plenty adequate for us!! Thanks for the hint to check the LFP for weekend activities. Will be praying for your Dad's surgery....trust all goes well.

Tobie...I'm heading to the museum website you mentioned....and thanks for the dining idea too!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activities weekend of Aug 25/26th

Tobie...just realized what you probably meant by moving "kids" from one apartment to another...any chance those "kids" might be university/college students?? If so, I wish you all sorts of patience!! Have done that a few times in Ottawa for our son!!! Will be hoping for good weather...one of our Ottawa moves was in the pouring rain!

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Ont
Level Contributor
477 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Activities weekend of Aug 25/26th

My dad was so glad when I finally bought a house and made that last move (for a while) around various locations in London.

You have missed all the major festivals for the summer, check out this site for ideas www.londontourism.ca/events.aspx?sitemapid=1

Sometimes there are smaller festivals such as the GreeK festival(already happened) on weekends, there is sure to be something this weekend.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
Ontario, Canada
London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Activities weekend of Aug 25/26th

Yes, they are not exactly kids.

My daughter's just finished one post grad degree in History and is leaving to study for a year in England doing her MA in Museum Studies..... hence my soft spot for Museum London. :-)

Her brother is going into 4th yr English and is changing apartments so there are belongings going in several different directions around the city.

To ready myself for what is to come I'm going to see Spamalot in Toronto tomorrow to keep me in a lighthearted mood through the whole ordeal!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Mentioned in this post
Museum London
Museum London
65 Reviews
London, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Activities weekend of Aug 25/26th

Tobie did she do the public history MA at Western? That's a great programme. The guy who heads it up replaced me for a year when I was on leave from my own university (and he was a just starting on his academic career).

Have fun with the move.

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Activities weekend of Aug 25/26th

HI, VanClan....today's paper ("The Ticket"...mentioned "Let's Go" last post, which is in another paper, and...never mind) Bad news: no large festivals in London this weekend. Good news: St Thomas is holding their "Iron Horse" festival downtown, with midway rides and music. "Cruise Night" is Friday from 6 - 10 pm. For more info (519) 636-4944 x 249. As you know, St. Thomas is barely 20 minutes away, S from your hotel instead of turning N on Wellington into downtown.

Fanshawe Pioneer Village is holding "Big Day at the Village": vintage baseball game, carriage rides, music, garden tours - adults $25/kids $15, (519) 457-1296

Hyland Cinema has some interesting "off the main sequence" films playing this weekend - www.hylandcinema.com

Don't know how late you're staying Saturday, but up at UWO it's the Saturday of the summer with free tours/viewings from the telescope at Hume Cronyn observatory.

Don't forget Museum London and their great restaurant On the Fork. And speaking of restaurants, finally made it to Ben Thanh's newer location at the SE corner of Bradley and Wellington - excellent Vietnamese vermicelli bowls - www.benthanhlondon.com. Just a hair down the road from your hotel.

Have a great getaway!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
Ontario, Canada
Fanshawe Pioneer Village
Fanshawe Pioneer Village
181 Reviews
London, Canada
Museum London
Museum London
65 Reviews
London, Canada
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Activities weekend of Aug 25/26th

What is it with history majors? Seems like we all have some connection to them. My son just finished his third year in history at the University of Ottawa......

Tessky...that's a great tourism London website....will keep it in mind for other visits to London too.

Fannish....did you see my last post looking for a good chinese restaurant??? If not, I'm certainly amazed that you would suggest a vietnamese restaurant...you must have known we have a hankering for Asian food!

and the iron Horse sounds interesting...my husband has done some model railroading ... if time permits maybe we'll wander down that way....but then again...this is supposed to be a relaxing getaway....

Thanks everyone!!!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
Ontario, Canada
Ont
Level Contributor
477 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Activities weekend of Aug 25/26th

Fannish - was trying to decide where to treat myself this weekend & had forgotten all about that restaurant, having just had my first Vietamese vermicelli bowls in St. Catherine's a month ago, I'm hooked so am definitely heading there.