We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turning down the falls ?????

middletown,ohio
Level Contributor
638 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Turning down the falls ?????

I was recently told that they turn down the flow of the falls at night to conserve energy ,is this so and if so how does this effect the scenery of the falls at night.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turning down the falls ?????

You don't even notice when the flow is reduced.

To a tourist, the whole concept may seem weird. Water flows through tunnels and is used to create electricity. It's my understanding they redirect more water when they can.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Turning down the falls ?????

At night, more water is directed up stream into the tunnels that allow the water to drop down and turn the turbines that create electricity. So they aren't conserving energy, but creating it. Locals can direct you in town where to see the large canal that carries the water around the falls, as well as the older power generation unit that is located back of a parking lot close to the falls. Years ago, one was allowed to look into that building and hear the noise of the turbines. A short children's TV movie was filmed there in which a boy was curious about this big wheel, and told not to touch it. However, he did and turned it. The result, the falls completely stopped. I am not sure how they created that illusion though.

3. Re: Turning down the falls ?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 13:19