We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I hire a car in the US and taking across to Canada?

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
2 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Can I hire a car in the US and taking across to Canada?

We are flying from the UK to NY in September, then flying to Buffalo. If we hire a car at Buffalo airport can we take it into Canada?

Are there restrictions regarding crossing the border in a US registered hire vehicle?

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I hire a car in the US and taking across to Canada?

You can definitely bring a rental car from the US to Canada. Be sure to mention it to the rental company, as I believe there may be an extra tariff or insurance cost on it. As long as you have all the rental documentation, then you shouldn't have any problems getting across the border.

Hope this helps.

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I hire a car in the US and taking across to Canada?

We are renting a van to drive from Ky because we have 6 people.

I asked the rental company if it would be a big deal that we were crossing over into Canada and he said no problem.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I hire a car in the US and taking across to Canada?

The assumption here is that you are returning the car back to Buffalo Airport. If you are not, but plan to drop it off in Canada, then be aware that there can be a large fee charged for doing this.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,186 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I hire a car in the US and taking across to Canada?

Hi;

You may want to have the rental company make a note on your rental agreement that they authorize you to take the car in to Canada.

I know I needed to do this when I rented a car here in Canada, and drove to the U.S.

Best Regards

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I hire a car in the US and taking across to Canada?

gtripper

There are some rental companies that will not permit cars across a border. For example, I overhead an Enterprise agent advising a client he was not permitted to take a car from Toronto ON to Buffalo, NY. Insurance issues, I believe.

Note that some companies have different pricing for mileage when a rental car goes out of state/province. And yes, GPS may be used to track your travels.

As long as you firm it up info with your specific car rental company, you should be fine.

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I hire a car in the US and taking across to Canada?

I am renting from Enterprise in the US and going over to the Canadian side of the falls to stay. The agent told me here that it was ok to do that. No extra fees or papers needed. Maybe I need to verify that again before we head out in July.

I have already made reservations with them.

7. Re: Can I hire a car in the US and taking across to Canada?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 09:18