We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Letchworth State Park

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Letchworth State Park

Hey Everyone!

I've posted this on the Rochester forum, but it is not as active as this one. On July 6th my wife and I will be driving from Niagara falls to Sodus Bay - I was thinking of leaving early and stopping by Letchworth and spending 2-3 hours driving through the park. Are there a lot of short and scenic hikes? Will it be worth the visit or should I not rush???

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

- - - - Mike

Mentioned in this post
Rochester
Rochester
Finger Lakes, NY
New York
Level Contributor
100 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Letchworth State Park

Letchworth is beautiful. It is well worth the stop. Anytime spent there is time well spent. There are plenty of hiking trils, both long and short. You may want to consider an overnight stay at the Glen Iris Inn right in the park....or at least have lunch there.

toronto,on
Level Contributor
390 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Letchworth State Park

Letchworth is absolutely gorgeous. DO plan to drive through the park.

If you are really short of time, there are different areas where you could stop for a short hike, and/or a awesome view of the gorge. There are different places to stop the car to view the gorge.

Wander around the area at the hotel/restaurant.

Shoot, I should have reviewed my notes before answering, to tell you the most awesome spots...

I'll check..

toronto,on
Level Contributor
390 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Letchworth State Park

Sorry, I cna't find my notes. But , do drive through the park. The road goes along beside the gorge for much of the way, with places to stop. At The Glen Iris Inn, which is worht seeing, there is a short hike up to the falls..

There is another short hike where you go down to water level and cross a little brigde... gorgeous, but I can't remember exactly where it is. Stop at the visitors centre and they will help you.

Enjoy!!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Letchworth State Park

Thanks for the info Kodi & paw paw! I think we will stop by the park on the way back (time permitting)

Does anyone know if there has been a lot of rainfall recently? Will the Genesee River be flowing? or has it been dry?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Letchworth State Park

>>Does anyone know if there has been a lot of rainfall recently? Will the Genesee River be flowing? or has it been dry?<<

I was hiking in the park three weeks ago. It has been pretty dry. The dam at Mt Morris is certainly not holding back any water to build a reservoir. There was decent flow over the falls at Glen Iris.

6. Re: Letchworth State Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 02:16