We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

duties/tax question

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chillicothe, Ohio
Level Contributor
87 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
duties/tax question

Is there a good website, that explains all of this? I went back through some previous threads, and at times, all I got out of it was confused.

Does this apply to stuff going from US-Canada, Canada-US or both ways?

Thanks for you help. Everyone that posts on this page has been great so far. We'll be there in less than 3 weeks, and can't wait.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: duties/tax question

The Canadian government website only refers to people entering Canada as either visitors or returning residents. Returning residents have duty limits depending on the length of time they were outside Canada and the nature of the goods. Visitors have restrictions on what you can bring in as well, such as no guns, certain fruits and vegetables etc which may carry bugs etc. When you leave Canada by car, you pay to cross the bridge, and it's on the US side where you get questioned. The Canadian officials have no idea what you have with you when you leave.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Level Contributor
87 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: duties/tax question

Is there a good place, to see a list, of what we can bring back from Canada, to the U.S.?

For example- We enjoy a nice wine, how much are we allowed to bring back? Or t-shirts for that matter........

Philly Suburbs
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: duties/tax question

To my knowledge, the only place you're going to NOT get hit with the government and provincial tax is at the Duty Free store right before the border crossings. They have alcohol and a decent wine selection.

T-shirts and the like aren't really monitored to my knowledge, but if you're guard asks you what you're bringing back into the states, it might be a good idea to just mention you have some souveniers.

There IS an alcohol limit, unfortunately I'm not sure of what it is. Check out the official Niagara sites and they should have a definitive answer for you on that one.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,806 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: duties/tax question

This brochure explains all:

cbp.gov/linkhandler/…knowbeforeyougo.pdf

Chillicothe, Ohio
Level Contributor
87 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: duties/tax question

Thanks fallsdude.....

I knew if there was a link about any needed info, you would be able to list it. You provide such great info, for all of us that asks questions, from restaurants, hotels, attractions, to the silly questions, you always have a great answer.

After reading some of the things in your link, it seems like a lot to remember, to cross back from Canada. All I need to come back with, is a bottle of wine, a few shirts, and some nice, thick peanut butter fudge.... (LOL) Hopefully I can do all of that, with no problems.

Calabash, North...
Level Contributor
332 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: duties/tax question

the site I kept going to was something like Niagratourism.com or similar.

7. Re: duties/tax question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 02:17