We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Passport

Planing a trip in November 2007 - do we need passports if going by car?

Thanks - Ohio

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
411 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport

NO, bring gov't issues photo id's and birth certificates.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport

If you have passports, then bring them. They are tne best method of ID. The Canadian Border Guards need to know

1. Who you are? (Government Issued Photo ID)

2. Your citizenship. (Proper official birth certificates..not photo copies)

3. Purpose of your visit (Travel or business)

4. How long you plan to be in the country (They trust you on this, although they do record the car plate and it goes into a computer and when you leave it will be matched up and they will know how long you have been in the country.)

5. Where are you going. (Niagara Falls, Toronto etc)

6. If you are bringing in goods you plan to leave here (Gifts etc)

They hold the right to search your car if they feel suspicious about any of your answers, or turn you back as well. There is no automatic entry into Canada, just as there is no automatic entry for us into the USA. Just because 100 people post on here that they had no problem it doesn't mean that you won't.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport

you dont need a birth certificate if you have a passport do you?

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,622 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport

That's correct, a passport OR photo ID & birth certificate.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport

OK what's the latest on passports in 2008? We're planning a visit in Feb 2008- we have birth certs, will we need passports for land crossing? I keep hearing they are pushing back the deadline. I guess it takes a few months for passports, so my wife and I want to be ready.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
411 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport

From what I understand they are expecting Summer of '08 to be time they start requiring the passports.

Temperance, Michigan
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport

Just get passports. You are going to need them for all travel very soon. You may as well be ahead of the game. I just ordered them for my three children, and it only took 2 weeks for them to arrive in the mail. We did NOT pay for expedited service.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport

Thanks elle...

Are passports good for 10 years?

If we got them before we actually need them, will this be a problem at customs? No suspicions of why we have them early, no extra tendency to have my car searched, etc. I certainly don't have anything to hide, but we come up for a week, and probably have a bit more stuff than most, and don't relish the thought of having my car ransacked and suitcases dumped out

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,714 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport

Hi;

Some people have posted that they had a quicker return into the US with their passports, than when using their birth certificate & photo ID.

Best Regards

Boston
Level Contributor
381 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport

No, the folks at immigration will think that you actually planned ahead, which is good. I have a passport from when I was 3 that I never actually used. You never know when a travel opportunity may come up (win a trip, best friend gets married overseas, etc) so a passport's always good to have.

For adults, passports are good for 10 years. I think it's 5 years for kids. Once you have one, the renewal process is pretty easy.