We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling from montreal to niagara falls

county durham
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
travelling from montreal to niagara falls

I'll be travelling from montreal to Niagara falls and have three days for the return trip .

Hubs fancies Hiring a car ,but I'd like to travel by bus /train/plane .

can anyone give any tips please

many thanks

toddytwo

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling from montreal to niagara falls

t2

Montreal to Niagara Falls one way is about a 7 hour drive; 660 kms.

I recommend viarail.ca

Bus is slow and not that comfortable. Plane means going through security - and if you decide on Peason, you'll still have over an hour drive (Buffalo NY means going through border), Train is relaxing.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
76,478 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling from montreal to niagara falls

Hi toddytwo;

Of your 3 days for this side trip, you will spend the majority two days traveling from city to city.

Driving

Niagara Falls is quite a distance, as AB has pointed out, but I would guess that the time to drive it would be longer than 7 hours. There are two routes;

1)from Montreal via Toronto, and then to Niagara Falls.

2)from Montreal via the United States, and then to Niagara Falls

The difference is driving around Lake Ontario on either the north (Canadian) side or the south (US) side, with a difference in distance of only 15 km.

The reason I say that the trip will take longer than 7 hours; (highway speed limit is 100 km/h)

1)traffic through Toronto can add considerable time to your trip, due to congestion.

2)driving through the United States will mean that you must clear through Customs twice.

Flying

There is no airport at Niagara Falls in Canada, the closest being located in Buffalo NY, approx. 36 km away. You would then need ground transportation to Niagara Falls, with time spent at the border clearing through Customs.

Pearson (Toronto) Intl. as AB has noted, is approx. 130km from Niagara Falls, and would require taking a shuttle bus to Niagara Falls. (www.niagaraairbus.com)

Bus

The bus ride is between 10½ and 16 hours in duration, depending on departure time, and requires two transfers enroute. (www.greyhound.ca)

Train

As AB has suggested, the nicest and least stressful way is to take the train. The trip is 9 or 11 hours in duration, depending on the departure time, and requires a transfer in Toronto. (www.viarail.ca)

Of course, you’re always welcome to visit Toronto !

Best Regards

3. Re: travelling from montreal to niagara falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 03:19