We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Fort George without a car?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Fort George without a car?

We are a family of 4 travelling to Niagara Falls in mid-late September for 3 days. During that time, we will be doing our share of falls gazing, Maid of the Mist, Cave of the Winds etc. However, I am looking for a few other activities to do, and I am hoping to avoid Clifton Hill (or at least minimise our time there) - I KNOW my kids (14 & 12) would love it but my DH would HATE it....We will be doing Disneyland, Universal Studios, Seaworld etc later in our overall trip, so we want something other than theme park type attractions, if that makes sense. I was thinking of trying to get out to Niagara on the Lake to do Fort George (and possibly do the Jetboats as well). However, we won't have access to a car whilst we are in Niagara, and I am wondering if anyone could advise me on alternatives? I believe it's about a 20 min taxi ride...but am worried about getting BACK into Niagara Falls at the end of the day. Would it be easy enough to get a taxi in Niagara on the Lake to take us back? Are there any buses that go out that way?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,881 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Fort George without a car?

I can't answer your question about transportation, but I do commend you on your interest in Fort George. It's definitely worth a visit. If it turns out that you can't get there without a car, there are some spots within Niagara Falls which are worth checking out. Do some reading up on the War of 1812 in Canada (with particular attention to the role of local heroine Laura Secord), then visit Queenston Heights and Lundy's Lane (both sites of major battles), and the Lundy's Lane Museum.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Fort George without a car?

Thanks for that, Country Wife! I must admit, I have been doing a little bit of reading but really should do a lot more. My son is very interested in history and I am sure he will enjoy the Fort - but I will also look into those other options! I love this site so much....ask one question, and it generally opens up other opportunities as well! So thank you for that!

Cheers

mel

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Fort George without a car?

Mel

Niagara on the Lake is a great choice. You'll find transportation options in 'Know before you Go': tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154998-s304/Niagara-…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Fort George without a car?

http://tinyurl.com/5l7j4o

Here's some info about the Ghost Tour of Fort George, quite fun.There's a lot of info here about the whole area:

http://travel.yahoo.com/trip-view-509603-niagara_falls;_ylt=AvaH6B1RKMD8CcDe7w75tcqcItAF

Niagara on the Lake is worth a day on it's own, especially if your kids are old enough to appreciate theatre. The Shaw Festival plays all summer, and the town is quaintly restored.

Taxi from Niagara Falls to downtown Niagara on the Lake is $38.(set price) each way for all 4 people. No problem getting a return trip at all, you can book the return or call them. Niagara Falls Taxi 1-905-357-4000.

Fort George is actually before you get to Niagara on the Lake, about a 10-15 minute walk to the actual downtown of N on the Lake or a $5-10 ride.

Be aware that the Maid of the Mist and other attractions reduce their schedule after Labour Day (first weekend in Sept) when everyone goes back to school and work. But it's a great time to go because Sept is usually still warm and there aren't huge crowds. Just don't count on as many sailings as in the summer. Have a great time!

niagarafallslive.com/niagara_falls_maid_of_t…

Falls City
Level Contributor
93 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Fort George without a car?

Contact Stan the Taxi Man at 905-321-1743 He took us to Niagara on the Lake and came back when we wanted to be picked up for $60.00 round trip and stopped anywhere we wanted to stop giving us a great history lesson about the Falls area. We were staying at the Marriott Fallsview Hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Fort George without a car?

Thank you all so much for your replies! All of you are amazing! Everyone is so helpful, and whilst I have spent many hours looking through the forums, hadn't thought to look in the "know before you go" section! I will be sure to look into all those options you have suggested! And the taxi fare seems quite reasonable (given it is for 4 people)...especially if you can easily book a return one. Suggested this as an option to my husband today and he seems quite keen, too! Yay! Quite excited about this leg of the trip now. THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,063 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Fort George without a car?

If you definitely are doing the Jetboats, book online choosing the Niagara Glen departure. You can then take the People Mover to the Niagara Glen, and you are picked up by the Jetboat Shuttle and taken to NOTL for the ride, and returned to the Glen later. I'm just not sure if you have to take the return shuttle immediately after the Jetboat, or could spend time in NOTL and take a later one. Perhaps an email to them would clarify

http://www.whirlpooljet.com/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Fort George without a car?

That also sounds like good advice! Thankyou!

9. Re: Getting to Fort George without a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 07:21