We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing food across the border

Alabama
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing food across the border

Hi,

We are going to be flying in to Buffalo, NY and then staying at the Great Wolf Lodge, arriving July 18th and then going on to the Ottawa area on July 20th.

We will have a refrigerator and microwave in our room and would like to eat dinners in our room as well as pack a lunch for our day out on the 19th.

Can we buy groceries in Buffalo and then take it across the border?

If this is going to be a problem, is there a grocery store somewhere around there that may be reasonable?

Also, is there a place around the attractions that would have picnic tables, etc. for us to eat our lunch?

Any suggestions will be welcome! Thanks!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,527 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing food across the border

Hi;

For a list of food items that can and can not be brought into Canada, see the Canadian Border Services information page below.

www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/fpa-apa/law-loi-eng.html

I'm sure one of the locals will be by with a list of grocery stores in and around Niagara Falls.

Best Regards

niagara falls
Level Contributor
523 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing food across the border

there are tons of picnic area's all around the falls on the canadian side....parking is a bit if a hassle but you will probably like victoria park right at the falls. Closest big grocery store to great wolf is zehrs on portage rd about a five minute drive.

Niagara falls,Canada
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing food across the border

You really don't need to shop for groceries in Buffalo.

Prices here in Niagara Falls Canada are at least as good as in the USA.

Here's the good news.

Just south of Great Wolf Lodge on Victoria Avenue, is Lococo's Grocery store.

It's less than a quarter mile away.

It was established in 1906; and suppies hundreds of restaurants with produce and meat across Niagara and beyond.

They will be able to supply you with most of your needs at a really good price.

For other items, like beer etc, there is a government operated liquor store on the same street, just a few couple of lights from Lococo's.

Great Wolf Lodge is a wonderful addition to Niagara Falls tourism mix.

Thanks for choosing our city for your vacation.

Alabama
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing food across the border

What about Sobey's Grocery stores? They came up on the Google map in niagara. Are they pretty reasonable and have some selections for easy and quick microwavable meals?

Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing food across the border

Sobey's is a major chain of grocery stores up here and would be a fine choice. (They like to play up their focus on food -- unlike so many of their competitors, they don't carry clothing, patio furniture, or electronics -- so they tend to have good choices in meals to go, fresh or frozen.)

The Zehrs mentioned earlier would also be a good option. They should have an excellent selection of frozen food as they stock the "President's Choice" store brand.

Either way, you won't go hungry.

Niagara falls,Canada
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing food across the border

The Sobeys store is actually in the exact location that a previous poster said Zehr's was located at.

Portage Road. It's a short hop from Great Wolf also.

The Zehr's store is a bit further at Dorchester and Morrison.

Alabama
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing food across the border

How does Zehr compare to Sobeys?

Also, someone suggested buying a cheap pay as you go phone (pre-pay phone) when in Canada since our roaming rates are outrageous on our phone. We may need a phone as we travel with family the rest of our trip

What store would sell those? Thanks!

Niagara falls,Canada
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing food across the border

There is a Bell World store in the same plaza that Sobey's is in.

But Zehr's also sells pay as you go phones.

Sobey's is a little closer to Great Wolf Lodge than Zehr's.

Sobey's has an excellent deli counter that sells pre made sandwhiches etc, but Zehr's also has a hot food deli counter.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,976 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing food across the border

Check your phone when you get here, it will probably work without roaming as we are so close to the cell towers in Niagara Falls, NY. I had to get roaming disabled on my phone because I was always getting picked up by the U.S. network rather than my own when I was close to the Falls.

Alabama
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing food across the border

We may be able to use our phone just fine in Niagara with no roaming, but we are going to be traveling from Niagara thru Toronto and on to Lombardy/Perth to visit family, so we are thinking maybe a really inexpensive pay-as-you-go phone would be cheaper than using our roaming minutes while traveling.

I just like to have a phone for emergencies and to contact family members in case we get lost or are running late, ya know?

Thanks! I hope we can find a place that sells them in Niagara.

Get answers to your questions about Niagara Falls