We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone booked with hotwire - unsure of whether to use it

RED LAKE ONTARIO
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone booked with hotwire - unsure of whether to use it

I am considering using hotwire - has anyone used it -any advice - were you happy with what you received. Please advise if you have ever used it - can you change hotels through them at all? Does anyone find it better to telephone the hotel direct to book? I have found it cheaper when booking hotels in Winnipeg than online?

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone booked with hotwire - unsure of whether to use it

It seems to work fine but its up to the hotel about which room you get or a refund if you need to leave early.

I booked a 4 star Toronto hotel 2 times and got the Sheraton on Queen st both time. The first time in June I got a room in the tower-right next to the elevator which was a little loud but still for $105 I was very happy.

In Dec I booked for 3 nights and got a ok room in the Richman Tower-not as nice...a big snow storm came-9-10 inchs so I left 1 day early, the hotel and hotwire refused any refund for me.

I booked a 4 star in the Falls and got the Marriott, I was offer an upgrade for $40 a night but didn't take it, I got a river veiw room and it was nice for the price.

I booked a few times in Windsor Canada and never was offer an upgrade but got a good room for the money...

I say wait untill you are sure and always check first like at AAA travel and the hotel web sites..a few times you can get about the same type of hotel but can get a refund if needed. If it looks like a great buy off Hotwire, it may be, so take it.

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone booked with hotwire - unsure of whether to use it

IF you go to www.betterbidding.com, they have a list of historic "winnings" for Priceline and Hotwire, and advice on bidding strategies. (You'll have to scroll down to the "Canada" portion of the listings, and look at all results for Canada. There are a lot of Toronto and Vancouver listings to sift through.)

Of course, the past is no guarantee of future results. betterbidding.com relies on people posting their results on the forum, and they ask you to use their links to Priceline and Hotwire...

You can also book rooms for your choice of hotel directly through Priceline and Hotwire, but you end up paying more money than if you bid. However, you get peace of mind knowing *exactly* what hotel you'll be staying at. WARNING: some of these hotel deals are NON-REFUNDABLE, so you must read carefully before paying for a room. Also, if you bid and win a room, you MUST pay whether you like the result or not.

Hope this helps.

West Bend, Wisconsin
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone booked with hotwire - unsure of whether to use it

I just booked a hotel in Cambridge through Hotwire. Before you give your credit card number, there is a section that shows how many stars AND the rating on Tripadvisor. Before I booked the hotel, it said that it was rated 4/5 on Trip Advisor out of 42 reviews. So, I went on Trip Advisor and scrolled through the 4 star hotels in Cambridge and saw that one had 40ish reviews that ranked the hotel 4/5. So, I kind of figured it was that hotel that I would be getting, and sure enough, when I paid, I got that hotel. It's a way that you might be able to figure out what hotel you are getting. Anyway, I paid 109/night for this 4 star hotel. When I looked up the price afterwards for what it would cost to book through the hotel directly, it cost 287/night. I haven't stayed there yet, we are going in a couple of weeks, but I think it was well worth it. I called the hotel a week later and you could request your smoking preference and bed size for the room.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone booked with hotwire - unsure of whether to use it

I book for a Friday night Sept 6 off hotwire and got the Sheraton on Fallview dr for $119...which is the same hotel I be at that week. For the other days I'm better off with my pre-book from the hotel web site but since Fridays are more, Hotwire saves me money. Its like Hotwire has a limit how low they go....You could save $75 even $100 for 1 night but sometimes your savings are just $15, hotwire won't go below like $79 for a 4 star hotel and most times its $99 and up--thats before costs which are another $15-$20.

You need to do your homework with hotwire--and yes, I was able to guess which hotel it was based on review count...but they always don't show that part.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone booked with hotwire - unsure of whether to use it

I notice this before and now its happening again

The prices are a bit more on weekends than if you book during the week.

EX...the hotel I booked yesterday looks to be the same hotel they are showing today..review count, etc but the total price is $3 more....not much but keep that in mind...i see on Monday if the same hotel goes back down in price.

6. Re: Has anyone booked with hotwire - unsure of whether to use it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 23:21