We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we splurge??

Melbourne
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Should we splurge??

Ok so what does everyone think?

My boyfriend and I are travelling Canada and the US for 3 1/2 months and we're on a fairly tight budget.

I'm wondering if it is worth splurging on one of the fallsview hotels for the 2 nights that we will be at Niagara? Or do you think that we should stay at a less expensive hotel (our only prerequisite is one of those cute love heart jacuzzis!) and just have a nice dinner at one of the restaurants overlooking the falls?

I can't decide whether it is worth the extra money so any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we splurge??

I have stayed at Niagara hotels several times. Had a fabulous huge picture window overlooking the falls. Also stayed on Lundy's Lane.

With a tight budget, I recommend a less expensive hotel. You'll have all sorts of chances to see the falls when in Niagara Falls. If you're in Niagara May-Sep, be sure to go on Maid of Mist!

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we splurge??

imho it may be better to get a nice hotel (not over the top) and use the money saved to splurge on dining. There are lots of areas to view the falls with out staying in a room overlooking the falls.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
784 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we splurge??

Hello,

I hope you have a marvelous time exploring Canada & the U.S. If you get a chance, come out west (Alberta) and visit Banff or Jasper in the extraordinary Rocky Mountains.

If I were you I would not spend a lot of money on a hotel room. Instead, look for something reasonably priced in a central location so that you can walk (unless you rent a car). Saving money on the hotel would give you a chance to experience other attractions. Explore this site for all there is to see and do in and around Niagara Falls. It opened my eyes to the fact there is much more there than just a neat waterfall.

Am I right in guessing that if you want a room with a love heart jacuzzi that you aren't going to be looking out the window anyway?

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we splurge??

i remember you from one of your nyc posts.

i have found this great bed and breakfast i haev booked www.lionsheadbb.com and you pay in can dollar.

what dates are you where?

we fly out 17th oct - 24th oct vegas

24th oct -27th oct - la

27th oct- 29th oct niagara falls

29th oct -5 th nov nyc

did you any nyc accomdation in the end?

and did you check out chelsea lodge?

sarah

Melbourne
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we splurge??

Thank you all for your advice. I think we'll probably stay in a decent (but not over the top) hotel and use the money saved on other sight seeing.

LuvLVEdmonton, we will actually be staying with family in Edmonton for 2 1/2 weeks and be doing trips to Jasper and Banff from there. Can't wait to see the rockies

Thrahtobe, thanks for the B&B tip, will definitely have a look into that. We'll be at Niagara in the first week of September, NYC in late Sept, Vegas 1-7 Oct, and Southern California from the 13th Oct-13th Nov. We haven't booked our new york accomodation as of yet, but will probably do it in the next couple of weeks.

Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we splurge??

If you decide to splurge, then you can still save some money by booking a room during a week-day versus the week-end. The difference in prices between a Thursday and a Saturday night is in the hundreds!

:)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we splurge??

Is it true that we should be there for a Friday night?? I think I read somewhere that they do fireworks and light shows, but only on Fridays.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,909 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we splurge??

Fireworks are on Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays and Canadian and U.S. holidays (see full schedule here: http://www.niagaraparks.com/nfgg/fireworks.php).

The Falls are illuminated every single night of the years.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
784 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we splurge??

Hi tarwon,

Have a great time exploring Canada and the U.S. I always take lots of pics and keep a diary so I can look back on travels and re-live the experiences.

I can't wait to go to Niagara Falls in May. Thanks to the internet I can explore what there is to do/see and make the most of our short stay.

And it's great being able to ask people on this forum who actually live there for advice. Their help is much appreciated.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we splurge??

Thanks for the link to the fireworks schedule. I think we're going to be at Niagara falls on Mon 7th and Tues 8th of Sept (as the 8th is my birthday and I want to be there for that, and the rooms don't seem to be any more expensive even though it's Labour day). So I guess I'll miss the fireworks. Unless the site is wrong and there are fireworks on labour day??

Also, I'm leaning towards a jacuzzi room at Country Inn and Suites. It looks great in the photos and all the reviews are good too. Any comments on this?