We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara Falls to San Francisco

ltb
Toowoomba Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Niagara Falls to San Francisco

Hi from Australia,

My family wish to travel from Niagara Falls to San Francisco. I hope someone can tell me whether to fly from Buffalo or Toronto airport, taking into consideration the ease of transfers from Niagara Falls, time etc. Both flights are about the same cost. We do not have time to stay overnight in either Toronto or Buffalo.

Option 1 - Fly from Buffalo. There are no direct flights and I have been told that US flights are often delayed. It will take approx 8 hrs including stopover.

Option 2 - Fly from Toronto. We can get a direct flight (5hr 30min). Of course this option involves going through US customs in San Francisco.

Thanks for your time.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,189 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara Falls to San Francisco

Hi;

Due to the high volume of trips to the US from Canada, the larger Canadian airports have US Customs facilities allowing you to clear US Customs prior to boarding your flight...so you would clear US Customs at Toronto Pearson Int'l Airport.

Niagara Falls is approx. 80 miles / 130 km southwest of Toronto. The average drive is about 1½ hours, without any traffic delays.

You are required to be at the airport 2 hours prior to the departure of your flight.

Have a look at NiagaraAirBus.com for their shuttle service from Niagara to Toronto Pearson.

Best Regards

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara Falls to San Francisco

Hello Australia! I like Option 2 because it's a direct flight, so it's of course shorter and there's no chance of missing your connection - much simpler and less stressful. However, Buffalo is closer to the Falls, and the traffic heading to Toronto can be very bad. You'll have to factor extra time if you transfer to Toronto, which might end up taking the same time as if you took the flight from Bflo.

Maybe someone else will have a more definitive opinion!

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagara Falls to San Francisco

I would go with option 2. To me it is always preferable to go non stop. It is just so much easier not having to worry about making connections.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Niagara Falls to San Francisco

I flew to California a couple of times out of Buffalo and it just wasn't worth the hassle. Maybe it was just my bad luck, but the majority of my flights from/to that airport had major delays. The direct flights from Toronto are much more comfortable.

ltb
Toowoomba Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Niagara Falls to San Francisco

Thanks everyone for your help.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,810 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Niagara Falls to San Francisco

Just one point--as others have stated when you fly from Toronto, you clear US customs in Canada. They are manned by US personnel. Make sure you give yourself PLENTY of time to do that..it is not as simple as just going to an aiport and going to the ticket window and then going through security--that US preclearance adds a whole layer of bureaucracy to get through, and since you are from Australia you can count on added attention. Allow LOTS of time for this procedure. If you get through quicker than normal, just find a restaurant or bar afterwards to while the time away.

Make sure you check the following site for additional info

dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/programs/content_multi_imag…

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
1,139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Niagara Falls to San Francisco

I'm surprised the cost ids the same, YYZ is one of the most expensive airports to fly out of, while Southwest often has cheap flights (vis LVegas). Are you staying in SFran or flying home because flying into San Jose via Southwest can be cheaper and the drive to where you are going (Monterey/Carmel/San Fran??) Having said that I've done the flight from YYZ many times and enjoy those direct flights, and have never done it out of Buffalo>

American Customes at YYZ is very variable, sometimes short sometimes very delayed. As always be polite, know where you are staying in San Fran etc.

8. Re: Niagara Falls to San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 05:16