We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Niagara falls cheaper than NOTL?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Niagara falls cheaper than NOTL?

Hi folks,

I'm visiting Niagara on the Lake this weekend, and maybe a little of Niagara falls if we have time. I was there recently, so it's not a big deal if we don't actually spend much time in Niagara falls. However,I've heard that NOTL is pretty expensive and I'm wondering if it's worth it to just stay overnight (2 nights) in Niagara Falls instead? Do most people do that? Or is there a closer place?

I'm coming from further east than Toronto, so wondering if there is another town close to Niagara on lake that people stay at...like maybe St Catherine's? (I don't know that area much at all)

It's a last minute trip so I'm just trying to find a place to stay now (though I know it's a long weekend it'll be slim pickings)and wasn't sure whether it's just cheaper/easier to stay in St Catherines or Niagara falls.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks a bunch!

Mentioned in this post
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Ontario, Canada
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls
26,841 Reviews
Niagara Falls, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Niagara falls cheaper than NOTL?

Hi

Ok here is my take on this…

Both NF and NOTL are expensive because they are Tourist Destinations.

They have very different environments (client bases however). NF caters to tourists from all over the world and families. They have a ton of hotel rooms that they like to charge big bucks for. There are occasional bargains (I call a bargain a Fallsview type Hotel – not necessarily one with a view – that has rooms around $ 150 instead of the normal $ 250). Usually though these rooms are quite limited, and hotels sell them off far in advance, so the earlier one books, the better the deal (doesn`t work for you in this instance).

NOTL caters to the more sophisticated traveller… either a couples getaway or people such as myself who are semi-retired and have cash to spend. The accommodations in NOTL are mostly Country Inns, B&Bs and Boutique Hotels… these don`t generally go on sale… and they typically start around $ 200 a night and go way up. Expensive but worth it if you are in a “romantic” mood, and like first class stuff, and not have to contend with a lot of kids.

I visit the Niagara Region Wineries often. We typically stay in NF, although I usually book far in advance to get a good rate. We have our car to get around to the wineries anyways so staying in NF is no big deal. We typically only do two touristy things while in NF, see the Falls and eat at The Keg Fallsview one night… the rest of our time is spent in NOTL and the whole Niagara Region enjoying all that it has to offer.

My next wine trip is coming up in July… unfortunately like you this time I am not able to pre-book anything (work) so I will have to take what is available. I`m hoping to find a bargain of some sort in NF ($ 200 in this case with short notice). I also have a B&B Certificate for $ 25 so I may use that in NOTL if the price is similar to my NF quotes.

Worst case scenario… we are going to stay in Ste Catherines or Fort Erie… both have big brand name hotels at decent prices. As I said we have a car, so getting around isn`t an issue, and if that means driving a little further, or eating at a restaurant at a winery before retiring back to the hotel, so be it.

As a frequent visitor to Niagara to enjoy the scenery and the atmosphere… I don`t come to spend zillions on a hotel room… so my priorities are different. I`d rather save money on my accommodations and spend more on dinner, wine or theatre. But then again, I`ve seen NFs dozens of times… as much as I am fascinated each time, it really isn`t the be-all-to-end-all for my visit.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Mentioned in this post
The Keg
The Keg
1,629 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Erie
Erie
Pennsylvania
London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Niagara falls cheaper than NOTL?

Excellent advice already so I'll just say you may have the decision made for you when you start to look at booking properties since it is the long weekend and there's a wine tasting event on every weekend in May.

You may still be able to find rooms at the larger hotels in Niagara on the Lake but I would start calling/emailing now. Your other option is to try Jordan.....both Inn on the Twenty and Jordan House may still have availability.

www.vintage-hotels.com/niagara-on-the-lake/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154999-d589642…

http://www.innonthetwenty.com/

http://www.innonthetwenty.com/jordan.html

Mentioned in this post
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Ontario, Canada
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Niagara falls cheaper than NOTL?

Thanks so much both of you for your advice and suggestions. We decided to stay here in Niagara falls on Lundy Lane, where we stayed before. There are so many hotels here so we were pretty sure they'd have a few openings (we got the place we stayed at before and liked). But thanks for your suggestions.

Next time I come I will plan it ahead and try to stay at one of the popular hotels at Niagara on the lake. I'd love to do a wine tour with a hotel package sort of thing, that'd be a lot of fun (and convenient!) But it does seem a lot more expensive, I too would prefer to spend my money on food, wine, tours etc.

Wine 4-2, I am from Ottawa too, and I also saw your great suggestions in the Key West forum when I was there a couple months ago looking for ideas/places to go etc. I recognized your name as you seem very active in the forums. Seems like you do a lot of travelling too, that's fantastic! thanks for all of your advice and help in the forums (incl the ottawa one too), it's much appreciated even if some of us travellers don't always comment or ask questions etc.

Thanks again!!

:)

Mentioned in this post
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Niagara falls cheaper than NOTL?

Thanks so much both of you for your advice and suggestions. We decided to stay here in Niagara falls on Lundy Lane, where we stayed before. There are so many hotels here so we were pretty sure they'd have a few openings (we got the place we stayed at before and liked). But thanks for your suggestions.

Next time I come I will plan it ahead and try to stay at one of the popular hotels at Niagara on the lake. I'd love to do a wine tour with a hotel package sort of thing, that'd be a lot of fun (and convenient!) But it does seem a lot more expensive, I too would prefer to spend my money on food, wine, tours etc.

Wine 4-2, I am from Ottawa too, and I also saw your great suggestions in the Key West forum when I was there a couple months ago looking for ideas/places to go etc. I recognized your name as you seem very active in the forums. Seems like you do a lot of travelling too, that's fantastic! thanks for all of your advice and help in the forums (incl the ottawa one too), it's much appreciated even if some of us travellers don't always comment or ask questions etc.

Thanks again!!

:)

Mentioned in this post
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Niagara falls cheaper than NOTL?

Hi TheRoadtrippergal,

You are very welcome.

Thanks for your kinds words... much appreciated, it is always great when a Traveller comes back and tells us how things turn out for them.

Yes, I travel a lot... LOL, I am now of a "certain age" where that is easier to do. I am happy to hear that my TripAdvisor Hobby has been of help to you here and in the past... you should stop by the OTTAWA FORUM more often... we can always use "local input".

As for wine, that too is a pasttime (as is good food). I'd be more than happy to help you plan your next visit to NOTL or much closer to home... Prince Edward County (Belleville-Picton) which has an up and coming wine region all its own (was there myself on Victoria Day Weekend).

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Prince Edward County
Prince Edward County
Ontario, Canada
Belleville
Belleville
Ontario, Canada
Picton
Picton
Prince Edward County, Canada
Hotel Victoria
Hotel Victoria
1,137 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
6. Re: Stay in Niagara falls cheaper than NOTL?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2009, 05:34