We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying only 2 days - help with itinerary please?

CT
Level Contributor
72 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
staying only 2 days - help with itinerary please?

Hi all, flying into Toronto in July and heading down to Niagara Falls for 2 days before then heading to Ottawa for Bluesfest. We will get in pretty early, so with the 1 1/2 hour drive, we should be at our hotel (Marriott) by about 12:00. Thought we would relax a bit, maybe walk down to the falls, grab lunch & then do the maid of the mist and either the butterfly conservatory or the Aviary - thoughts?? Dinner will be at the hotel (have to use that stupid voucher - we booked a package) and then to Skylon for dessert and after dinner drinks at 9:00 to watch the fireworks.

Next day I want to be up early for some sunrise pics over the falls and then we'll do the tour behind the falls. After that we head to Niagara-on-the-Lake and the wineries. Ambitious schedule, but I tried to just map out an hour loop & stop at what we can. Starting at Southbrook, Hillebrand and then on to Strewn for lunch. After that Jackson Triggs, Pellar, Lailey, Reif, Inniskillin and Riverview Cellars. Maybe Marrnissen if time. Thoughts? Any listed I should not bother with, or any on that loop I am missing? After that, we'll head back to the Falls area for dinner. Was thinking the Keg for a light early dinner? We are somewhat vegetarian (eat fish & dairy) and their menu had a good variety. Any other suggestions instead? Don't really need fall views, because we can see them from our room when we get back. I just liked their menu. Also, am I missing out by not doing the jet boat tour? If so, can I squeeze it in that day after dinner if we eat early enough? Last trip is at 7:00 p.m.

Any other suggestions of changes would be appreciated too.

(trip is for my 45th birthday & I don't trust my husband with planning everything. He's just not that "detail oriented" ;-)

Thanks!!!

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying only 2 days - help with itinerary please?

dlm

Me? I'd skip the Journey Behind the Falls to allow time to do the Jet Boats.

Since you're taking Maid of the Mist, the Journey Behind the Falls seems redundant. JBFalls is more like Tunnels next to the falls, then you're out on an observation deck by the falls.

The N-o-t-L Jet Boats: I've been on twice, and had a blast both times.

If you haven't seen already, here's reviews on JBFalls tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154998-d2… and the Jet Boats tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154999-d2…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: staying only 2 days - help with itinerary please?

Hi Dlm41,

Sounds great... looks like quite a bit of research went into your planning phase.

Personally, I'd skip Bird Kingdom, I find the Butterfly Conservatory a better bang for my buck. And as ABTRAVELLER said, if you are doing Maid of the Mist (an absolute must IMO) then you could skip Journey Behind the Falls... That should open up time somewhere in your schedule for the Jet Boats... a whole other perspective of the Niagara River Gorge.

As for the Wineries... your list is ambitious... Don't actually think you'll be able to get to them all... so IMO the "must dos" would be - Hillebrand - Strewn (great for lunch) - Jackson Triggs - Lailey - Inniskillen & Marynissen... this should give you a good mix of Family, Small, Medium and Corporations.

And if you still find you have to "cut back" then drop Inniskillen which is very similar to J-T (and I find the wine better at J-T)... and if you are looking to "add one" check out Cattail Creek which is one of Niagara's newest wineries... this will give you a whole other perspective, as to where a winery starts out, and how wines need time to mature.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Mentioned in this post
Bird Kingdom
Bird Kingdom
2,867 Reviews
Niagara Falls, Canada
CT
Level Contributor
72 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staying only 2 days - help with itinerary please?

Thanks for the winery tips. I know it's an ambitious schedule, but we are pretty seasoned "winos". :-)

We were in Canada's other wine region, the Okanagan, 2 years in a row, and the second time we hit soooo many I lost count. Once we crossed back into the US, we shipped our purchases (5 cases of wine! + countless other winery stuff) back home.

We loved it so much, we bought 40 acres of land in WA about 30 minutes from the border. It's up in the hills with beautiful mountain views. Looking to relocate there hopefully soon. So much less stressful than the east coast.

If you ever get out that way, feel free to e-mail me...can give you tons of info! Take care.

4. Re: staying only 2 days - help with itinerary please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2009, 05:16