We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay at the Falls or Go to NOTL?

Suburban Maryland
Level Contributor
50 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Stay at the Falls or Go to NOTL?

I am planning a Mother-Daughter getaway with my daughter to celebrate her 21st birthday. We thought Niagra Falls would make a good trip, doing to Falls area and then touring some of the wineries. We will likely be driving (from the Washington, DC area) so will have a car. We were thinking of something like a Sunday-Wednesday trip. My question is-should we stay 2 nights at the Falls area, then one night at NOTL or just stay put at the falls? I'm thinking it might be cheaper and more convenient to be nearer to the wineries.

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Wheelz Niagara
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Day Trips
King Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Niagara Falls Sightseeing Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay at the Falls or Go to NOTL?

sbc

Niagara on the Lake to Niagara Falls is a 20 minute drive. NOTL is a quaint, historic town of 14,000. NFalls is a city of 80,000.

Because there's so many hotels in the Falls (several chains have more than one property), you may find pricing more competitive in the Falls.

If it was me - and I could get a deal in NOTL - I'd stay one night in NOTL.

New York City
Level Contributor
51 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay at the Falls or Go to NOTL?

On our recent visit to Niagara Falls, we stayed at a hotel close to the falls and drove to NOTL. We took the scenic route using Niagara Parkway and it is actually a nice drive. It was not very far at all and we passed several wineries. Not sure what the hotel rates are at NOTL but there were a lot of super-cheap deals near the falls. NOTL sort of remided me of Southampton NY, and I suspect similar price range. I don't think it makes that much of a difference where you stay in terms of the distance to the wineries.

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hamptons, NY
Edmonton
Level Contributor
784 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay at the Falls or Go to NOTL?

Hi sbc,

Yes, I concur with the other posters that NOTL is a really close (and pretty) drive to Niagara Falls. If pricing is a consideration, keep your room in NF and visit NOTL and the wineries. I believe several hotels even have tours out to the wineries so you can take in the tours and not worry about drinking and driving. If money is no object, I would stay at the Prince of Wales hotel. Don't know what the rooms are like but the lobby is spectacular and it's a historical hotel. Either way, you will enjoy your stay.

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay at the Falls or Go to NOTL?

Hi sbc1023,

Generally speaking NOTL is much more expensive that the deals that can be found in Niagara Falls (just due to the volume of rooms available). NOTL is far more a romantic couple getaway (Inns, Fine Dining, Theatre, Art Galleries) that said though it does offer some great Spas... always a hit with us gals.

As for the wineries... although NOTL is the most often referred to spot here on TA, the Niagara Wine region actually extends along the Escarpment (ridge) from NOTL thru to Winona. NOTL is home to the most famous (and corporate) wineries... while farther afield you'll find a good assortment of small, family and medium sized opeations... most wine lovers will tell you that they prefer the "discovery" of something new that goes along with exploring the region beyond NOTL (Beamsville & Vineland being the two big destinations).

With a car, you'll have access to all of the Wine Region (I have been known to stay in NF as well as other locations... because as I said, the wineries are spread out... think farms) having transportation, is the only important factor.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

5. Re: Stay at the Falls or Go to NOTL?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2009, 07:16