We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things NOT in Niagara

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Things NOT in Niagara

We will travel to Niagara in August or September. Since we will be in Canada anyway, is there anything super great to see that is within a 3-4 hour drive? We could stay an extra day but I am not familiar with Canada. (Sorry neighbors, we're working on that!) Think natural things...waterfalls, provincial parks, scenery.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things NOT in Niagara

Here is a TA thread which answered a similar question -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154999-i270-k2943…

(Niagara-on-the-Lake, or NOTL, is a beautiful 20-minute drive from Niagara Falls up the Niagara Parkway and well worth a day of exploration.)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Things NOT in Niagara

DCMS, Niagara is a 90-minute drive from the city of Toronto -- the largest city in Canada with a big range of things to see and do (e.g. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155019-s410/Toronto:… )

On the other hand, you said "natural things", which is where it gets a little tricky. The Toronto area being home to roughly 5 or 6 million people, suburbs are often easier to find than scenery. I suppose you could drive through and around Toronto to get up to Muskoka, which is full of lakes and trees and known around here as "cottage country".

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,739 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things NOT in Niagara

Hi dcmsteach;

Toronto is approx. 80 miles / 130 km northeast of Niagara Falls. The average drive is about 1½ hours, without any traffic delays.

You could spend an entire week in Toronto and still have plenty to see and do !

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g155019-Activiti…

The African Lion Safari is located outside of Cambridge, Ontario, approx. 60 miles / 100 km north of Niagara Falls.

www.lionsafari.com

St. Jacobs is approx. 96 miles / 155 km, northwest of Niagara Falls, about a 2 hour drive.

http://www.stjacobs.com/

www.stjacobs.com/html/home_museum.html.

Tourist train rides are available which start from Waterloo, and end at St Jacobs, and then return to Waterloo. There is a stop about ¼ mile east of the Farmer’s Market and outlet stores.

http://www.steam-train.org/

Just a reminder…You now require one of the following to cross the border by LAND;

• U.S. Passport

• U.S. Passport Card

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

Kids 15 and under just need their birth certificates.

If flying into or out of the US you MUST have a passport.

http://www.knowyourborder.gov/

For more details, read the “Crossing the Border” Traveler Article here on TA.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s602/Canada:C…

Best Regards

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things NOT in Niagara

Thanks for this info as well.

We have our passport cards....had planned to come in mid-July but my sister's birth certificate had a slight problem...so she had to get a new BC and wait for the PP card. The turnaround was very quick but it came the day before we were supposed to leave. That made us feel too rushed, so we decided August or September would be a great time to go too.

My husband and I haven't been to NF for about a dozen years. My sister hasn't been for more than 40 years and her husband, never at all, so we're looking forward to going.

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things NOT in Niagara

If you want to see some nice waterfalls, there are some about 3-31/2 hours north of Niagara Falls....

try googling Eugenia Falls and Hoggs Falls...they are both part of the Bruce trail, that starts in Niagara and ends up in tobermory..

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things NOT in Niagara

Wow...would love to hike the entire Bruce Trail....not likely to happen, although we did just finish the ADT across WV...a distance of 430 km. My sister and her husband aren't hikers, so we won't go far from the highway. I'll be checking out those additional waterfalls though...

Believe it or not, when we lived in Europe ( military), we would go "waterfall hunting" and plan day trips, weekends, and 3 day passes around waterfalls.

You can rarely go wrong with a waterfall. That's what we still look for when we visit our national parks here.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things NOT in Niagara

Hi Dcmsteach,

Another vote for the whole Niagara Region... it is truly stunning, and has much to see and do...

Historical Sites - Geographical - The Arts - Agriculture - Wineries - Welland Canal etc.

For a ton of info on this fabulous region see the NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE TA Pages & FORUM.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Vineland, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things NOT in Niagara

Check out Balls Falls, and the Niagara Conservation Authorities Head Office/Science Centre in Vineland. It is a great spot for a picnic lunch, and you can hike down the Twenty Valley Trail. There is much to do in the Twenty Valley, I suggest you check it out for sure! It is only a half-hour drive from Niagara Falls, and is the very heart of the wine region. Also, the Vineland branch of OMAF (Ontario Ministry of Agricultural Affairs) is a great spot for a walk and a picnic. Check out these links for sure:

Twenty Valley: http://www.twentyvalley.ca/

Balls Falls: npca.ca/conservation-areas/balls-falls/centr…

Vineland OMAF: www.vinelandresearch.com/Default.asp…

Good luck,

Kuhlie

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things NOT in Niagara

Thanks again. You all are great "advertisement" for Canada. I will try to do a trip report when we return!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things NOT in Niagara

Hi Dcmsteach,

You are very welcome... will be watching for your Trip Report... love reading about Vacations of those we have helped.

Have a great time.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Get answers to your questions about Niagara Falls