We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara whirlpool?

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Niagara whirlpool?

Could someone tell me where and what the niagara whirlpool is.I keep hearing about it on hear, but don't know what it is.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara whirlpool?

TL

This first paragraph is modified from a website:

The whirlpool is a circular pool of water 5.3 km (3.2 miles) downstream of the Falls. The water there makes a 90degree turn. The restricted width of the narrow gorge creates a rate of flow equal to the great rapids of the world. Depth is 125 ft (38m) and width 1650 ft (502m).

The "local" bridge near the NF downtown is the Whirlpool Bridge. No trucks, and cars must be enrolled in NEXUS, a pre-approved clearance program. It's at the end of Bridge St between the Rainbow Bridge and Lewiston-Queenston Bridges. So just a few blocks from Queen St.

The Whirlpool Aero Car and Whirlpool Golf Course is along the River Rd/Niagara Pkwy, just down from the Whirlpool bridge.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
462 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara whirlpool?

Traceylynne,

Whirlpool park is 3 or 4 miles down the parkway from the Rainbow bridge. It is near Niagara University. Just across the gorge from the Spanish aero car landing. It is a beautiful and under utilized state park. The views of the gorge are stunning, and the park is full of mature trees and picnic sites. Devils hole park overlook is just about a miles walk in the park, you can drive there too-there is a parking area. In whirlpool park though there is a stairways that leads down into the gorge. It isn't an easy hike (worse coming up), but if you want to spend the time and the energy you will be stunned at the power and the beauty of the rapids when you are so close to them you can't hear yourself think. I go there when I am feeling a little self important-nothing can humble a person quicker.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagara whirlpool?

In the summer there are jet boats that travel from Niagara on the Lake up to the whirilpool and back. it's fun. You get soaked but now they have a glass enclosed boat to keep you dry. There is a trail that leads you down to the edge of the whirlpool off the Niagara parkway and that's about as close as you can get on dry land.