We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mandarin Buffet - health and cleanliness issues - true???

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mandarin Buffet - health and cleanliness issues - true???

Our last visit to Niagara Falls was in December 2009. During our stay we ate dinner at the Mandarin Buffet. Unlike previous visits to this and other locations, the restaurant was not very busy. When we inquired about this, we were told this location was cited for taking food left on plates collected from tables and putting it back on the buffet. Can anyone confirm this? Can anyone post an article? Since the restaurant was not as busy the food did not seem as fresh during this visit. Any information would be helpful. We have always had good experiences at Mandarin but I would hesitate to go back to a place where they disregard health and cleanliness to this level.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,784 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mandarin Buffet - health and cleanliness issues - true???

Hi moreofless;

The Mandarin is a highly regarded group of restaurants in southern Ontario. If the comment your overheard was true, I'm sure it would have been plastered all over the news.

I haven't seen anything about this on TV or read about it in the papers.

Best Regards

2. Re: Mandarin Buffet - health and cleanliness issues - true???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 March 2010, 15:05
Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mandarin Buffet - health and cleanliness issues - true???

The Niagara Region has an online restaurant inspection site that lists inspections and the results of them. The Mandarin in Niagara Falls has not had any issues, however, the one in St.Catharines has, and it might be the one you heard about

. http://infodine.yourniagara.ca/InfoDine.aspx

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mandarin Buffet - health and cleanliness issues - true???

TO FALLSDUDE,

All I can say is AMEN for posting the link to the City Food Inspection Stats... having these Reports online now for various cities means that otherwise unfounded and vicious rumours such as the one here... don't gain momentum and become "Internet Factual Urban Legends".

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 11 March 2010, 17:49
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mandarin Buffet - health and cleanliness issues - true???

I was not trying to start "unfounded and vicious rumours". We heard this from a local industry source. Every time I have been to any Mandarin location, there has been a long line by the end of our meal (we go early). This time we could have walked in at any time and been seated right away. That seemed odd.

Since all Mandarin locations are company owned, it is a concern when they have issues at any location.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mandarin Buffet - health and cleanliness issues - true???

Hi Moreofless,

Ok, I stand corrected...

<< We heard this from a LOCAL INDUSTRY SOURCE >>

So it was THEY that are spreading this unfounded and vicious rumour then...

Which quite frankly makes it even more disturbing because they are local... and have access to the website info themselves that FALLSDUDE posted.

I have an odd feeling about this one... someone is manipulating someone here (and inturn this TRAVEL FORUM). And it ain't me.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

SW Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mandarin Buffet - health and cleanliness issues - true???

moreofless

You heard this from a local industry source who identified the wrong restaurant. That would make it an unfounded rumour. Repeating it is what makes it an unfounded & vicious rumour.

Of course this local industry source won't have any bias towards the Mandarin, would they?

Edited: 12 March 2010, 02:29
8. Re: Mandarin Buffet - health and cleanliness issues - true???

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

9. Re: Mandarin Buffet - health and cleanliness issues - true???

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mandarin Buffet - health and cleanliness issues - true???

This would definitely qualify as the dark side of anonymous travel forum posts. I'm not accusing you of a lie, but it seems to me this type of post is easy enough to make - there's absolutely no risk involved. No proof either... Unless you can provide facts and proof, best to let this go. You've already discredited yourself enough.

Get answers to your questions about Niagara Falls