We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whirlpool Jetboat Tour

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
Save Topic
Whirlpool Jetboat Tour

Has anyone done this? We really want to but now I'm thinking we might be too old for this. We are in our 50's, love roller coasters & water. Would this just be too much excitement? I don't want to have a heart attack since this will just be the start of our two week road trip.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,726 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whirlpool Jetboat Tour

sarah, you're in the prime of life, not old.

If you love roller coasters you will love this, and it's good that you like water because you will definately get wet. If you want to wimp out, there are enclosed boats, but you will miss half the excitement.

If you decide to go for it, you need to make on line reservations to ensure a spot.

There are 2 places to get the Jetboat:

The main dock in Niagara on the Lake Old Town or

From the Niagara Glen stop on the People Mover route. A shuttle takes you to a dock in Queenston and returns you after.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whirlpool Jetboat Tour

Hi Sarah9Nascar,

Welcome to the NIAGARA FALLS TRAVEL FORUM.

Well their website says something along the line of "Good for all ages... from 4 to 104"... so baby you're only half as old as you think you are :-)

If you love Roller Coasters & Water, I too think it will be a good match for you.

Have fun... and do give us an UPDATE after you've done it (this nifty-plus-fifty hoping to do it for the first time later this summer as well).

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Whirlpool Jetboat Tour

First of all, if we do it, I'm going all the way with the wet one. I can't imagine staying dry. I'm from Texas in 100 degree heat and we love to get wet.

I went to the website to book it and it is giving us choices that I don't understand. We can book the Adventure Centre, Niagara on the Lake or on the US side, Lewiston. We will be at the Embassy Suites on the Canada side so which place would be best. I'm trying to get the rest of our trip booked this morning.

Do I need to book Maid of the Mist in advance also or is this too much like the Whirlpool Jets?

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,726 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whirlpool Jetboat Tour

Sarah,

Glad to hear that you aren't wimps. ;-)

The Adventure Centre is the Niagara Glen that I mentioned above.

Niagara on the Lake is the main dock in Old Town.

Lewiston is the U.S. departure point.

If you have a car and are able to get to NOTL, then you should pick that one. It is the longest, and therefore the best, ride.

You can't prebook Maid of the Mist, strictly first come first served, but the lines move fairly quickly since the boats hold so many people. It is much different that the Jetboats in that it is a slow ride right to the base of the Horseshoe Falls, whereas the Jetboats are fast and furious in the lower rapids. Do both if you can.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whirlpool Jetboat Tour

Ok I watched some youtube videos and decided it wasn't that bad. We are booked now for July 29th at 10:15 am at Niagara on the Lake. It was even $10 off for going in the morning. Being from Texas where it's 100 degrees in the summer, is the water cold & what do we wear?

I'll make a trip report on this when we get back since it doesn't seem like anyone has done this on here.

I may need more help before I have everything in place & planned.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,726 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whirlpool Jetboat Tour

There are change rooms and lockers at the dock. Change into (or wear) something that you don't mind getting soaked, and then have clothes to change into after.

The water will probably be in to 70's, but will feel cool. Most people wear bathing suits, tee shirts, etc.

Have fun!

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,726 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whirlpool Jetboat Tour

BTW Sarah, there are plenty of reviews of the Jetboats here under the 'Things to Do' button:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154998-d1…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whirlpool Jetboat Tour

Hi Sarah9Nascar,

Coming from Texas you will find our weather more comfortable than you are used to... mornings also tend to be a tad cooler... which is why they probably have the Discount.

I agree with FALLSDUDE just give in and wear a Bathing Suit and some sort of footwear you don't mind getting wet. You might want to throw a t-shirt over top as well... that is probably what I am going to do.

Water will be somewhat cold... again that will depend a lot upon the weather... but you shouldn't feel like its freezing, probably just refreshing... LOL, a lot warmer than actually getting in it for a swim!

Water Temps in June on the Niagara River generally speaking mid-60s (today it is about 66 F) in July high-60s... in August somewhere in the 70s.

For more info on Water Temps (cool to check out day before you take the plunge) can be found on the National Weather Service Website...

NOAA - National Weather Service - Water Temps (Lake Erie & Lake Ontario) = www.wbuf.noaa.gov/laketemps/laketemps.php

Use the stats for Lake Erie as your estimate... temps are taken at the entrance to the Niagara River... temps on Lake Ontario are ALWAYS cooler... it may be a much smaller Lake, but it is significantly deeper (so doesn't warm up the same).

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... FALLSDUDE is right there are REVIEWS, but just the same I am looking forward to your TripReport... know how much time you've put into this vacation, that I am anxious to hear the whole story from start to finish.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Whirlpool Jetboat Tour

Thanks for the link to the reviews. I read everyone. I'm getting very excited now.

Douglasville...
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Whirlpool Jetboat Tour

Hi there Sarah!

We just came back from Niagara Falls two days ago and had a blast! I would definitely recommend that you wear a swimsuit, because you will get absolutely drenched from head to toe! I actually wore swim goggles so I wouldn't get pelted in the eyes- they helped some! Be sure to bring a change of clothes since they do have a dressing trailer behind the reservations office. My husband and I stayed at the Ritz Inn on Dunn St., not far from the Embassy Suites, so we took the People Mover bus to the Adventure Centre location since that was the closest. Normally I don't buy pictures that are taken of me at an attraction/tourist trap, but in this case I would suggest that you plan to buy the pictures of you on the jetboat. They have a photographer who takes pictures of each jetboat out on the rapids and you can actually see yourself enjoying the water. I got 3 action shots of us for $49. A bit pricey, but it's a great experience to remember for a lifetime!

By the way, make sure you buy the Adventure Pass when you get there. For $39.95 you get tickets to four attractions: the Maid of the Mist, Niagara's Fury (basically it's an interactive IMAX movie that splashes water on you-- but still fun), White Water Walk (a boardwalk along the rapids), and Journey Behind the Falls (no big deal, but it's included). Plus, it comes with two days worth of People Mover bus passes, which includes riding the Incline Railway (which you definitely will want to ride down to the falls instead of having to walk 15 minutes up one street, down the hill of another and down another street yet again to get to the falls). You can buy the Adventure Pass at any Welcome Center on the street. I bought ours in advance through Expedia before we left home b/c I didn't know how prevalent they actually are. You can also buy extra transportation passes for a daily rate of $8.

Oh, and be prepared to spend A LOT of money for food in Niagara Falls! A typical meal with 4 French toast triangles w/ 2 eggs and 2 pieces of bacon was $15.99; Two Whopper Value Meals from Burger King came to $19 and some change (no drink refills allowed); Outback Steakhouse prices: between $26-$35 for an entree meal. I had chicken quesadillas from the appetizer menu for $12.99...just to give you an idea. The best deals for the money were at two restaurants: AlMac's on Stanley St. have All-You-Can-Eat buffets for $6.99 breakfast and $15.95 dinner. Be sure to get there EARLY for breakfast- or be prepared to stand in a 25+min. buffet line because it was PACKED when we got there around 10-10:30am. Breakfast is 7am-1or 2pm. The second place is Tony Roma's Restaurant. We went to the one in Clifton Hill, but I think there was another location in one of the hotels by the falls, across from Embassy Suites. They have all-you-can-eat ribs for $15.95.....but they brought so much on the first round that neither my husband or me could finish the first plate! Definitely worth the money. Plus, the souvenir shops are more reasonable in Clifton Hill.

Be sure to get a map called the Niagara Falls Fun Map by Sun N' Fun Maps. It has all of the attractions very clearly marked and has lots of great coupons inside from many restaurants....mostly for a free gift, but hey- I got a Niagara Falls t-shirt souvenir for free from Outback...and it didn't have Outback all over it- just a nice shirt that I could have paid $15 for in a shop, but didn't have to! :)

Hope all this helps! Have a absolutely WONDERFUL time! We certainly did!