We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Niagara to Boston

Kent UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Niagara to Boston

Hi all, I am new to this.

Are looking into travelling to NY from London end of July. 2 Teenagers and 2 adults. Have to fly in and out of same airport otherwise much more expensive. Plan is 1 night NY train to Niagara, stay Oakes hotel looking over the falls, 2 nights. Then travel to Boston for 3 nights

(Midtown Hotel) from here fly to Orlando. At the end of the trip fly back to JFK 3 nights at The Marmara Manhattan then fly back to UK. We have costed this all out except the travelling from Niagara to Boston. We are not sure how to do this leg of the journey. We can drive but have not hired a car.Please can someone shed some light on the best way to achieve this part of the trip. Thanks so much.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,131 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Niagara to Boston

Buffalo, NY is just a half hour from Niagara Falls. Jetblue and USAir both have direct flights between Buffalo and Boston for well under $100. Add an airport shuttle (Jewel of Niagara $90) and you can be in Boston in a few hours (flight is just 1 1/4hrs) for a little over $400, as opposed to a 7-8 hour drive.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,171 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Niagara to Boston

Hello, you posted on the Canadian Niagara Falls forum, yes there is an American Niagara Falls too. Actually it is located close to BUffalo NY. MOst of the attractions and the best sight spots are on the Canadian site so you willl have to cross the border at the Rainbow Bridge, you can do it even by foot if you want but, as Australiand make sure that you get multiple entries visas for the US and that every paper will be OK for Canada.

That said I also want to say that you will have to drive an enormous amount of time to do a NYC - NF -Bo triangle. More than 7 hours of straight driving from NYC to NF and more than 8 from NF to Bo and this not counting all the restops or the wait at the border etc.

But having a car will enable you to visit around a bit if you want and, on the Canada side drive on the parkway along the river to go to visit Niagara on the Lake that is really charming and not to be missed. If you would be only two adults I would say fly to Buffalo and arrange things from there either a day car rental or simply using the local buses. Add two kids and it could make a big difference. Of course you can search Expedia to find the better deals but you can also look at the Jet Blue discount airlines. This is a great option and they fly from NYC to Buffalo sometimes at incredibly low costs, they also have some direct flights from Buffalo to Boston but most are with a stop in NYC. IN NYC they fly from the two airports and also from close by Newark NJ airport. You should check all 3 as they might offer better prices at one or another and they are all about the same to reach from Manhattan.

Kent UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Niagara to Boston

Thanks for your prompt reply. Have looked at websites, has made us think it will be a lot of air travel over a short period of time. We were hoping there would be a train available, but guess not. Are going to look at hiring a car from New York, take a few days to drive to the falls and then a few days to drive to Boston. I know it may cost more to leave car at Boston but maybe will allow us more freedom and time to explore. We so want to see the falls and both cities and it seems a shame not to do this when we will be quite close to them all. We are flying to Orlando to see friends but will be there for nearly 3 weeks so can borrow some time from that part of our break. Kind Regards.

Kent UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Niagara to Boston

Thanks for your prompt reply. We are going to look at hiring a car and taking longer to explore around the area from New York and back to Boston via Niagara. As you may see from my other reply we do have time we can adapt from the other section of our break. Kind Regards.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Niagara to Boston

Hi JacBanf,

Welcome to the NIAGARA FALLS TRAVEL FORUM.

And I also see you are a Brand NEW Member of TripAdvisor... so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

There are 4 alternatives infact… although Flying or Driving are the easiest (and also the Most and Least Expensive).

FLYING – Buffalo to Boston… Quick and easy, but fairly expensive.

TRAIN – You can take the train… Amtrak to Albany (Capital of NY State) and then switching to another train for Boston… don’t have the details but I seem to recall that this can be a time consuming task, as you may have to stay-over in Albany in order to catch the next train to Boston. www.amtrak.com

BUS – You can take the bus… Greyhound. If I recall, you’d also have to make a change in Albany… but probably wouldn’t have to stay over, as the Bus tends to travel more frequently than the Train. www.greyhound.com

DRIVE – Renting a car is pretty easy… just make sure that you inform the Rental Company that you intend to bring the car into Canada (that way they’ll make sure to give you a car that is Insured for both countries)… also make sure that they note on the Rental Agreement that it can be taken into Canada (they typically circle the clause). As you might have to provide this documentation to the Border Agents (in either direction if they ask for it). Also some Rental Companies will charge Unlimited Mileage for ONLY US usage… so make sure you understand what the impact will be if you take the car to Canada (will ONLY the Canadian Miles be charged… or will it be on the Whole Agreement… that can really add up).

Having a car in Niagara Falls has its PROS and CONS. Con is parking. Parking (Hotel or Street) is EXPEN$IVE around The Falls (just not enough space along The Escarpment)… so know that you could be spending somewhere between $ 20 and $ 40 a Day for that. While in NF, you can get around quite easily without your car… there are the PeopleMovers in prime season (they run along the Niagara Parkway and connect all the major sites)… also count on doing a lot of walking (some of it UPHILL). You might want to take a look at an On-Line Map for the area (I like GOOGLE MAPS) so you can see where things are… Niagara is a lot bigger than it looks… The Falls Gorge from Table Rock at the brink of the Canadian Horseshoe Falls thru to the Rainbow Bridge area (base of Clifton Hill) is aprox 1 Mile (1.6 Kms).

Where having a car is nice, is if you plan to spend any time out in the Niagara Region (the Peninsula that lies between the two Great Lakes of Lake Erie & Lake Ontario). It will make getting to Historic Niagara-on-the-Lake, Wine Country, Welland Canal etc quite easy (public transit doesn’t really go out into farm country)… definitely worth spending a some time exploring the charms of this gorgeous area of Ontario.

As for the trip from NY City to Boston… if you have a couple of days, there are certainly so nice sites enroute. For example, in NY State… you can take in the Howe Caves, Cooperstown ~ Baseball Hall of Fame, and the Finger Lakes (NY Wine Country – Amish Mennonite Area etc)… if you want any more info on these or other spots for the drive To and From… you can always send me a TA PM (Personal Message)… just click on my highlighted User Name to access that aspect of TA.

You can learn much about all of these Destinations here on TA… starting right here with the NIAGARA TRAVEL PAGES (those buttons to the left of this screen) as well as reading thru the FORUM… as well more info on the Niagara Region can be found on the NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE TRAVEL PAGES and TRAVEL FORUM.

And here are some websites to provide you with even more info for your research…

Websites that might help you in your research:

* Niagara Falls Tourism = www.niagarafallstourism.com

* Niagara Falls USA Tourism = www.niagara-usa.com

* Niagara Region Tourism = www.tourismniagara.com

* Niagara-on-the-Lake Chamber of Commerce = www.niagaraonthelake.com

* Niagara Parks Commission (where you'll read about most of the Bigger Attractions) = www.niagaraparks.com

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Naples, New York
Level Contributor
349 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Niagara to Boston

Details of rail service to Boston...

AmTrak Maple Leaf (Niagara Falls, ON to Albany, NY)...

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

AmTrak Lake Shore Limited (Albany to Boston)...

OR

ViaRail Canada (Niagara Falls to Montreal)...

www.viarail.ca/en/trains/ontario-and-quebec

Then

AmTrak Adirondack... (Montreal, QC to Albany, NY)

Then to Boston, MA on AmTrak Lake Shore Limited

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from Niagara to Boston

TO OOMPAPPY,

Thanks for the detailed info on Amtrak... much appreciated.

As for going via Montreal... that would certainly be "the long way round"...

Infact it would be 4 Trains (not 3)...

Niagara Falls, Ontario to Toronto (Via Rail)

Toronto to Montreal (Via Rail)

Montreal to Albany (Amtrak)

Albany to Boson (Amtrak)

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Naples, New York
Level Contributor
349 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from Niagara to Boston

Yeah, I figured the JacBanf family might already be taking the "Maple Leaf" from NYC to The Falls so going to Boston that route would mostly be a repeat.

The "Adirondack" from Montreal to Albany would be the scenic route provided it was during the daylight.

Kent UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling from Niagara to Boston

Hi All,

Thanks again for so much info.

It has really made us realise and appreciate how far apart these places are. Naively we think they look close on a map!! We are looking into the cost of flying into New York and out of Boston as we could do these either side of our Orlando visit with NF after our first city. This would spread the travelling out and we feel we would gain more. We can use all the info you provided to do this. As I said you have made us realise how exhausting our original idea would be. I think we would have just slept on arriving at Boston!!! We want to see and enjoy it all.

I really can not thank you enough for your input. I have always used Tripadvisor for obtaining information but never posted, So THANK YOU for showing us and giving us ways to get around your lovely countries.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,171 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling from Niagara to Boston

Bis repetitam! Look at Jet Blue for all of your flights, great seats, great service, very good seats . So NYC, BoIston, Buffalo and Orlando are all covered by this company.

What I can see now is fly to NYc, fly from there to Orlando. Spend time with friends and ffly to Buffalo. From buffalo rent a car to visit the falls (both countries) and then drive or fly to Boston. A possibility by Canada that will enable you to visit Toronto and Montreal before going to Albany and then to Boston; you might even include Ottawa in between Mtl and Toronto. That makes for a lot of train time but is doeable + you can buy some pass for the Canadian part of your journey. But beware that we don't have high speed train around, we are still at 100 kms or so max.