We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara to Chicago

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
250 reviews
Save Topic
Niagara to Chicago

Ok, this is for anyone from the Chicago area who has driven to Niagara Falls. On the way back, are we better off driving thru Canada to Detroit and home or going back thru Buffalo to Toledo and then home? How is the main route thru Canada to Detroit? Slow or similar to the Tollway?

Hamilton, ON
Level Contributor
942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara to Chicago

I have driven and I'd say through Cananda.

It's not 'slow' the average pace will be about 120 km/h and pretty straight, flat driving.

You have to be careful though since the highway isn't as busy there's more speed traps so excessive speeding can be dangerous.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
563 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara to Chicago

taking the 90 home is faster

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagara to Chicago

Not to sound like a moron, but how can you tell me what 120 km/hr translates into miles per hour/speed limit? I should have paid more attention in grade school when they were trying to teach us the metric system!

I'd like to take the route thru Canada if it's more scenic and it is estimated a bit quicker by Mapquest than taking 90. The route thru Canada seems more direct rather than a slight backtrack thru Buffalo.

Hamilton, ON
Level Contributor
942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Niagara to Chicago

Well I am pretty sure 55mph is 100km/h.

I think 120km/h is about 65 or 70ish.

Hamilton, ON
Level Contributor
942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Niagara to Chicago

Actually checked.

120km/h = 74.6 mph

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Niagara to Chicago

Thank you-that sounds pretty decent to me. I appreciate you looking if up for me.

Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Niagara to Chicago

actually my girlfriend and i are from chicago and we went to niagara in november. when we went there and back we went throught the states (buffalo, erie, cleveland, toledo, etc.) and it wasn't bad at all. a few pit stops for food and restrooms and it took us only about 8 - 8 1/2 hours. we left at 10:30 in the morning and got in around 6:30 - 7:00 in the evening. so go through the states, plus gas is way cheaper in the states, i heard you guys are getting ripped off up there. anyway, have fun!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Niagara to Chicago

Thanks chisox-I hadn't considered the gas prices-as you know they're bad enough here!

The travel time is great to know as well-I mapquested it but that isn't always totally accurate.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
462 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Niagara to Chicago

Librarychick,

A quick way to convert the kilometers is to multiply the first few digits by 6-

so that 100 kilometers per hour becomes 60 mph-

90 kph becomes 54

80 kph becomes 48 mph-

not completely accurate, but you get the idea-

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Niagara to Chicago

librarychick- I was in grade school in the 1970's when they taught the metric system to us. I remember teachers saying how everything in the US would be in metrics very soon, so we better learn it. Here it is 30 years later...and still no metrics in the US, but who knew back then we could use it when we travel