We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Returned from Niagara Falls - stayed at the Embassy

Kitchener, ON
Level Contributor
250 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Returned from Niagara Falls - stayed at the Embassy

My review has been submitted and pending posting. It was an interesting trip to say the least.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Returned from Niagara Falls - stayed at the Embassy

Hi Greekmom99,

Welcome to the NIAGARA FALLS TRAVEL FORUM.

Talk about art of the tease...

Tell us more... you may not be able to give us a full HOTEL REVIEW here on the FORUM... but you could certainly tell us more about your whole visit (known here in the DESTINATION FORUMS as a Trip Report).

We'd love to hear what you got up to... Hotel - Food - Attractions - Sightseeing - Entertainment... etc.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 15 May 2011, 22:04
Kitchener, ON
Level Contributor
250 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Returned from Niagara Falls - stayed at the Embassy

Sorry about the tease. Ok - overall I would say its a good clean hotel. Other than that, your money doesnt equal the value. Too many add on charges. The honour bar prices were a joke. (LOL! 9.50$ for a litre of water). Hmm.. the most eventful part of our trip was the hallway drenched on Sat. night with cigar smoke which would make Fidel proud. The smell was so fierce that it came into our non smoking room.

As well as the rucous from a room full of people down the hall from us that got kicked out around 11pm.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,645 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Returned from Niagara Falls - stayed at the Embassy

Personally I have found the Hilton hotel chain just not up to par with Starwood and Marriott. I do really like the new Hilton Garden Inns thou. The garden inn in NOTL is right off the QWE and offers free parking. Its a good 10 min drive to the falls but if you can get a good rate--I got $53 on NYD--its well worth it, IMO

(was really freaky how I got the rate, it was around $120 a few days before but on NYD leaving from Toronto I double checked on the map where the hotel was at and seen the rate of $57, so I mention it while checking in and even got AAA discount rate--very nice of the hotel to change my booking, no fuss at all)

Marriott nickels and dimes you as well. They had a snack tray in your hotel room with prices out of sight. On the top shelve of my closet it went, lol

Edited: 16 May 2011, 05:23
detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,645 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Returned from Niagara Falls - stayed at the Embassy

I meant the QEW....i need more than 1 edit in 5 mins, lol

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Returned from Niagara Falls - stayed at the Embassy

Hi All,

Just for clarification in case anyone wonders...

When STILL SMOKING refers to NYD... I believe he means New Years Day.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

--- --- ---

TO GREEKMOM99,

Lol... Unless you are a Newlywed... I assume that you left the room at The Embassy Suites occasionally... would love to hear what else you saw & did while in town.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 16 May 2011, 05:58
Kitchener, ON
Level Contributor
250 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Returned from Niagara Falls - stayed at the Embassy

Wine42- haha - no we didn't stay in the room the whole time. Let's see, we went to the Rainforest Cafe, around Clifton Hill, hubby and kids did the indoor minigolf place across from Dan/Buskers (sp!?!?!), wax museum, Maid of the Mist and floral clock. I wanted to do the sky wheel but Sunday's weather was so awful!

I have to say the best part was Maid of the Mist.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Returned from Niagara Falls - stayed at the Embassy

Hi Greekmom99,

:-D *Grin*

Glad to see you have a good sense of humour...

All-in-all sounds like you had a great time... and not that surprised that Maid of the Mist was the BEST PART... usually is for anyone who visits.

Read both your REVIEWS (Embassy Suites & Maid of the Mist)... they were great... thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

West Long Branch...
Level Contributor
171 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Returned from Niagara Falls - stayed at the Embassy

Not sure if I would ding a hotel for offering high-priced water and snacks in their room. Many hotels (including top tier ones) do this. It is an optional service. If on the other hand they imposed mandatory additional fees, that would be different.

Do I think that it is a rip off paying $9.50 for a bottle of water? Absolutely! But anyone who stays in hotels has to know that the prices are outrageous for things like this.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,645 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Returned from Niagara Falls - stayed at the Embassy

Last I knew it was $5 a bottle, really awful how the hotel charges so high on stuff you need. Beer/wine I would understand more. A few hotels do offer free water, can't think of any in Niagara on the main hotel strip.

Its almost you need a car to go in to town to buy stuff but then they get you on parking fees / you can't win unless you haul a ton of stuff with you.

Yes NYD is new years day.

The weather I can't understand. We had a few nice days but now its cold again. Maybe next time it warms up it be for a few months.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,645 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Returned from Niagara Falls - stayed at the Embassy

When they keep a big tray on half the desk I find it rude. Many hotels do not do that. The stuff is in vending machines or in the club lounges to buy. Only the Marriott I recall having the big snack tray on the desk. That isn't what the desk should be there for--right? Guess they firgure people are not on business in Niagara, still I found it distasteful in what was a very nice room/hotel.

If its out of sight fine, I have no problems with the beer/drinks some rooms have and I'm am mostly a non drinker. I just do not open the cabinet up.

I think next time I would t just call the front desk and ask for it to be removed from my room. Us guest need to start speaking up and stop getting pushed around, IMO

These hotels seem to be too pushy and then act like its your fault when they are in the wrong. I'm a guest yes but please respect my privacy and stop trying to temp the guest.

Edited: 17 May 2011, 17:26