We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara Falls & partial train trip

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Niagara Falls & partial train trip

I am taking Amtrak through Michigan from Chicago and will then drive to Niagara Falls, ON. What is the best/most scenic drive? Through Sarnia on 402 to 403? Or through Detroit on 401 to 403? Thanks in advance!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,694 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara Falls & partial train trip

Hi SunnyCHI;

Between the two, I would say Sarnia along Hwy. 402.

Best Regards

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,613 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara Falls & partial train trip

Neither route could be called scenic. Like U.S. Interstates, just multi lane highways through former farms and forests, with very little to see.

The route from Sarnia is the shortest, so if you have a choice of going to Detroit or Port Huron at the same cost and travel time, I'd take that one just to make the shortest/fastest route.

NIagara Falls...
Level Contributor
815 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagara Falls & partial train trip

Both very boring and I mean very boring highways.

Take the quickest one.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Niagara Falls & partial train trip

I would take highway 3 from the Ambassador Bridge. The route takes you along Lake Erie and you go through many small towns so it takes longer. When you get to Fort Erie you can take the Niagara Parkway along the Niagara River to Niagara Falls.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,613 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Niagara Falls & partial train trip

<<I would take highway 3 from the Ambassador Bridge>>

That would be much more scenic, but would turn a 4 hour trip into a 7-8 hour one. If you have the time, go for it!!

6. Re: Niagara Falls & partial train trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 14:19