We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maid of the Mist - Please Help

Sunny Shropshire UK
4 posts
Save Topic
Maid of the Mist - Please Help

We are considering going on the Maid of the Mist tour when we visit Niagara Falls ON in July. We have a few questions we need some help with. Firstly, How often do the boats depart?, Where is the best view on the boat? and finally how long should be leave to complete the trip (with queuing and everything!)

Many Thanks

Claire

London, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maid of the Mist - Please Help

The tour takes 30Mins.

Departures at every 30 minutes from the US or Canada; open from 9:45 am to 4:45 pm (later during part of the year) - available from April 21 until October 24. See Schedule below. $26.50 adult us

niagarafallstours.net/tours/…2273

I would imagine that you line up and every 30 minutes they fill up the boat. There is not a time for reservations on the tickets...

Your ticket is good for any time; there are no reservations for specific times

Sunny Shropshire UK
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maid of the Mist - Please Help

Thanks Canuckgirl,

Would you recommend booking then or just turning up and get tickets when we arrive?

Thanks

Claire

London, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maid of the Mist - Please Help

I would wait till you get there...

Try to find some of those coupons book and maybe save some money too!!... Normally these coupons books are available at tourist info booths or in hotel lobby...and are free. Stop by one on your way in.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maid of the Mist - Please Help

Claire

I've taken the Maid of the Mist 4 times. It is very efficient. People in line just keep moving. As one boat is filled, it seems the next one pulls up and gets loaded.

I've stood in various spots on the boat. You get great views - since the boats manouver around - and there are both the Canadian (Horseshoe) and US falls to see. Check the website www.maidofthemist.com

the Netherlands
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Maid of the Mist - Please Help

We are going to NF in May. Maybe a stupid question; How much does the Maid of the Mist boat move? Is it an easy ride or is it more like being in the ocean?

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maid of the Mist - Please Help

iBabe

The Maid of the Mist boat is an easy ride. Drivers are very skilled and the motors very powerful. Even when it's next to Horseshoe falls, it's relatively smooth. There's just some engine noise as they try to remain still for the view (and photos). It is a magnificent experience.

I've been on ocean cruise ships - it's nothing like that sensation at all.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Maid of the Mist - Please Help

I don't believe the maid of the mist takes reservations unless its for a huge group of people

Cincinnati Ohio
Level Contributor
430 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maid of the Mist - Please Help

We took the Maid of the Mist last summer and it was one of the most wonderful things I've ever done! The lines were definitely shorter on the American side so we caught the boat there. I get motion sick quite easily so I did eat some ginger cookies before getting on the boat....no problems. Please note that even with the raincoat they give you, you get soaked so we were glad that we wore water sandels instead of tennis shoes. You also may want to get a waterproof, one time use camera. They really do take decent pictures and there's no way we could have used our good cameras.

Definitely do consider doing this. It is a once in a lifetime experience.