We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jmat's Trip to Niagara

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
jmat's Trip to Niagara

OK, now that I'm home :( here's my thoughts on my experiences

Best Western Colonel Butler Inn NOTL- very nice inn, pleasant 1 night stay

Courtyard by Marriott- awesome as usual(will submit a review)

Zappi's pizza- excellent- will always return

Frank's Tomato Pie-finally tried it- best Italian food we ever had!!

Flying Saucer- got a surprise to find out the Saucer fries were drowned in chili!! But they were excellent-artery clogging, but excellent

OK here's a question for polywog-What is the deal with the schools? it seems the kids are out on the streets more than in school. There is a school near the Burger King, on Lundy's Lane. I saw kids walking around at 7:30-8:00-ish. I guess they're going to school. Now I also saw them hanging around 9:30-ish(what is this a coffee break?) Then lunch around noon-ish, and finally they are out around 2:30. Just doesn't seem like they're in class much. Any way, I'm back home looking forward to my next visit

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: jmat's Trip to Niagara

.. theres a school near there? Maybe it's further up Centre St. because I have no idea where it is..

but generally, thats when classes & recess are. School is usually around 8, break around 9:30, lunch, and school is out around 2:30-3, depending on the school board and if its elementry/high school. Are you sure they were students though? They could have just been employees of Clifton Hill. I know my best friends baby sister just finished her year and she works down in that area. She looks a lot younger than she is though.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jmat's Trip to Niagara

yeah, I'm almost positive they were school kids. I just found it interesting they are allowed to leave the school grounds. The school must be on a side street off of Lundy's Lane, I never actually saw it, but that area by Burger King, Wendy's, and where Tim Hortons used to be(its now Rogers Video) is where I see the kids.

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jmat's Trip to Niagara

Hi Jmat....sounds like you had a blast...I'm leavin in four days:)...We also go to Zappi's.

I guess you got the big snow fall while in Niagara...looks like its all melting now on-line....Don't forget to get over to OTC...Its kind of like here.....just more off topic...games and such..

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jmat's Trip to Niagara

Dang-it I just missed you jmat:(

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: jmat's Trip to Niagara

OH!!!! Sorry.. I was thinking Burger King on Clifton for some reason.

Yeah, the huge building behind BK on Lundy's in Stamford HS- a lot of kids have spare periods, so thats probably why they were always hanging around since spares are usually an hour long or so. That, and kids who are skipping lol

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jmat's Trip to Niagara

thanks, polywog. Its just when I attended Catholic school(20+ years ago!!!!) we weren't allowed to leave the premises. Living only 2 blocks from school, I had to get special permission to go home for lunch, and of course as a senior, I hand picked my schedule to not have class first or last period, so I didn't show up 'til 9:00, lunch at 12, and home by 2:00

traceylynne, we did get about 5 or 6 inches of snow one day. It was not snowing much that morning, but as soon as we drove down the Niagara Parkway towards Fort Erie(a boring drive, nicer in summer or fall) BOOM! Suddenly it was snowing like crazy, and the roads were bad. I spun out on the ramp to the QEW, and it was a scary slow ride back. I did not drive any more that day. I let the hotel shuttle do the driving- I needed a couple beers anyway...

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jmat's Trip to Niagara

Hi Jmat

I think by the time we ge to Niagara, all of the snow will be gone....This Friday, they're calling for way above seasonal temps...12c

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: jmat's Trip to Niagara

Oh yeah, all the snow from this weekend was almost all melted when I left this morning. Just the little bits around the edges of your lawn from shoveling the driveway were left, lol.

I'm hoping there is a teachers strike tomorrow so I can go home again! =)

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jmat's Trip to Niagara

Hi jmat

Glad you liked the saucer fries, I miss them! Zappi's is awesome too

I used to go to Stamford, the high school you are talking about, Kids are always out and about around there either on spare periods or skipping.

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jmat's Trip to Niagara

I guess your now either home or headed that way Polywog....No school for a while it seems:(