We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relaxing time in Ontario

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
5 posts
Save Topic
Relaxing time in Ontario

Hi everyone. Going to Ontario in July/August; husband wife and 14 yr-old son. Looking for somewhere to relax and enjoy the scenery etc for a week, beach type, resort type stuff. Must be good quality accomodation. Any suggestions gratefully recieved

Level Contributor
55 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relaxing time in Ontario

For kind of accommodations you mention I would try Collingwood, Grand Bend or Muskoka (Bracebridge, Gravenhurst, Lake Joseph, Lake Rosseau), Kawartha lakes, Huntsville or possibly Algonquin Park. The Niagara Falls area tends to have hotels and bed/breakfast type right in the city. The scenery is beautiful, and well worth visiting but does not meet your criteria of beach resort type stuff.

Ont
Level Contributor
477 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Relaxing time in Ontario

I would add Sauble Beach to the list of beaches/scenery to consider.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
910 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relaxing time in Ontario

If you want to be a bit more out of the tourists' beaten path then consider Manitoulin Island. You can get everything from cottage rental where you make your own meals to more resort-type accomodation. Start at http://www.manitoulin.ca/ But hurry, most people book one year to come back the next.

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Relaxing time in Ontario

For cottage rentals in the grey-bruce area...go to

www.rentcottage.com

While they are not cheap..they are beautiful:)

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Relaxing time in Ontario

You could stay at a lodge on a lake north of Toronto. I like the Huntsville/Parry Sound area for scenery, activities and beauty.

One family resort that I recommend is Pow Wow Point Lodge near Huntsville. Friends have been going there for almost 15 years and their standards for cleanliness, meals etc are very high. There are a few very positive comments here on the forum if you put the resort name in "search". They provide all meals but if you want the option of self-catering accomodations we like the Grandview Resort near Huntsville too.

Check out:

http://www.powwowpointlodge.com/

www.deltahotels.com/prov/p_ontario.html

Also:

~ontariotravel.net

~muskoka-tourism.on.ca

You can use mapquest.ca for directions and driving timesfor these areas.

The Muskokas are simply beautiful and relatively close to Toronto, which I imagine is where you're flying into.

Hope that helps.

Scotland
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Relaxing time in Ontario

Thanks to everyone for their help. We're going to Huntsville, followed by Collingwood, Niagara Falls and then Toronto. Thanx everybody