We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 4th trip

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
July 4th trip

My wife and I are planning a trip with another couple. They seem bent on going over the July 4th holiday because of the free day off it will give them. I realize all the hotels are way more expensive, so we will probably be staying at Doubletree with a jacuzzi room instead of Embassy or Sheraton, which would both be about a million dollars for that timeframe.

My question is, does the July 4th holiday cause significantly more congestion and reduction in enjoyment of the whole scene? I mean, nothing extra special happens, right? There are fireworks a couple times per week. Are the crowds on the 4th large enough to be obviously bigger than, say the end part of June?

If it seems like the difference will be major, I might make a much firmer stand about going some other time. Thanks

Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: July 4th trip

If you don't like crowd, I'd suggest you come at different time. July 4 should be VERY, VERY crowded and busy. Oh, and this year, our Canada Day is on Saturday, July 1, meaning July 3 will be a holiday for us. So, expect the Falls to be very busy from Jun 30-July 4.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July 4th trip

I've given up on July holiday events in the Niagara area; it is just too crowded to be enjoyable.

Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: July 4th trip

Actually, I enjoy the crowd, that's what holiday's all about right? Hahaa...

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: July 4th trip

They'll have a fireworks display (weather permitting, of course) for July 4th, but it will be the same kind as any other Friday or Sunday.

It's insanely busy here during that time of year- most of the local just hide in their house until it's over cause it's sooo busy lol

Buffalo
Level Contributor
563 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July 4th trip

it depends whether or not you like crowds. lets put it this way. a local from orlando wouldn't go to disney world easter week would he?

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July 4th trip

If you plan on crossing one of the bridges that weekend have fun, having said that I always go travelling peak season, I like the weather, the crowds and the atmosphere of so many other people from all over the world visiting when I do, But june and august will still be nice and busy but that weekend in July is hectic. Anytime from start of May to end Sept is in my opinion the best time to go to the falls, anytime much before or much after is pretty depressing (I used to live there) unless you like the snow and light displays etc