We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maid of the Mist

PA
Level Contributor
134 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Maid of the Mist

My family is planning on going on the Maid of the Mist in June. I heard that you have to take an elevator in order to get to the entrance- does it cost anything for the elevator ride? Also, I saw a package for the Maid of the mist, white water walk, journey behind the falls and also the butterfly conservatory (people mover included). We were just planning on the Maid of the Mist and the Butterfly Conservatory. Does anyone recommend that we see the white water walk or the journey behind the falls? Or save our money towards something different, we will only be there 3 days and 2 nights. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Maid of the Mist
Maid of the Mist
4,202 Reviews
Niagara Falls, NY
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maid of the Mist

Each to his own taste, fan, but if it is a short trip and you want a classic Niagara Falls family tourist experience then that package deal is likely the way to go. As the major attractions are strung out along too much of a length for you to want to walk it and driving/parking is an increadible hastle in summer the People Mover part of it is definitely a good idea. (The elevator is just used by the Maid of the Mist people to take customers from street level down to the dock.)

Mentioned in this post
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls
26,667 Reviews
Niagara Falls, Canada
Maid of the Mist
Maid of the Mist
4,202 Reviews
Niagara Falls, NY
Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maid of the Mist

The white water walk wasn't much at all. It's a boardwalk that goes along the river. Rapids are always pretty but I was rather disappointed. They do have a few signs along the way with interesting facts though.

My daughter didn't enjoy journey behind the falls-you go through tunnels & can look over rails behind the falls & get really wet on the observation deck. It was hard to take pictures due to the mist on the camera lense. You can get the whole experience witht he package but I could have done with them. On the other hand, the Maid of the Mist was great-no other experience like it & we both really liked the Butterfly Conservatory. The butterflies kept landing on us-made great pictures & a memorable experience.

Never been on the People mover though (went with the Girl Scouts on a bus tour).

Mentioned in this post
Maid of the Mist
Maid of the Mist
4,202 Reviews
Niagara Falls, NY
Niagara falls,Canada
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maid of the Mist

I must differ on the White Water Boardwalk experience.

I live here and it's just a spectacular vantage point to view the powerful rapids with huge house-sized boulders being hammered by giant waves.

Even being at the bottom of the gorge is a trip.

The Japanese students we used to host each summer loved the Whitewater walk and the Journey Behind the Falls as well.

That ticket package is one of the best bargains in Niagara Falls.

Mentioned in this post
Journey Behind the Falls
Journey Behind the Falls
8,257 Reviews
Niagara Falls, Canada
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls
26,667 Reviews
Niagara Falls, Canada
PA
Level Contributor
134 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maid of the Mist

Thanks to you all for your help! I think we might do the package, if we don't have time for it all or decided not to do one thing it will still be a bargin! Thanks again :-)!!

Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maid of the Mist

Just a note on the People Mover. The pass is good for one full day and you can get on and off at any of the 22 ish stops as much as you want including Clifton Hill, Queenston Park and the Foral Clock.

Mentioned in this post
Clifton Hill
Clifton Hill
2,688 Reviews
Niagara Falls, Canada
Cincinnati Ohio
Level Contributor
430 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Maid of the Mist

The Cave of the Winds walk is incredible. There's nothing like being close up and personal to feel the power of the water. We did the Cave walk first where they give you water shoes to wear and a bag for you other street shoes. Then you can wear the water shoes on the Maid of the Mist and don't have to walk around in soggy shoes/socks. Oh, and get a cheap, waterproof one time use camera....we have some great pictures and there's no way we could have used our good cameras.

Mentioned in this post
Cave of the Winds
Cave of the Winds
4,883 Reviews
Niagara Falls, NY
Maid of the Mist
Maid of the Mist
4,202 Reviews
Niagara Falls, NY
Cincinnati Ohio
Level Contributor
430 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Maid of the Mist

The Cave of the Winds walk is incredible. There's nothing like being close up and personal to feel the power of the water. We did the Cave walk first where they give you water shoes to wear and a bag for you other street shoes. Then you can wear the water shoes on the Maid of the Mist and don't have to walk around in soggy shoes/socks. Oh, and get a cheap, waterproof one time use camera....we have some great pictures and there's no way we could have used our good cameras.

Mentioned in this post
Cave of the Winds
Cave of the Winds
4,883 Reviews
Niagara Falls, NY
Maid of the Mist
Maid of the Mist
4,202 Reviews
Niagara Falls, NY