We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buffalo Niagara Airport to Niagara Falls Canada

London, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Buffalo Niagara Airport to Niagara Falls Canada

Hi,

We are flying into Buffalo Niagara International Airport and looking to get to the Marriott Fallsview at the Niagara Falls in Canada. We'll then be going to Toronto before flying back to London. The first option I considered is to rent a car from the airport, drive to Niagara Falls then drive it to Toronto and return it at Toronto airport. Problem is, apparently there is a $100 fee I have to pay in addition to the rental cost as I am taking the car across the border.

Do I have any other option? I wonder if it would be cheaper to get a taxi to get into Canada and rent a car from the first place I can find. That way I'll be picking up and returning the rental in Canada.

Any ideas welcome please!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buffalo Niagara Airport to Niagara Falls Canada

Hi FreddyQ,

Welcome to the NIAGARA FALLS TRAVEL FORUM.

First off, you can find out info about how to get to NF from Buffalo by taking a look at the TOP QUESTIONS BOX to the right of this screen… and the FAQ entitled *How Do I Get From / To the Area Airports?*

As you’ve discovered renting a car in one country, and returning in another is problematic… as somehow the car must make its way back to the point of origin… even if that means being towed.

This is true right across Canada (Drop Fees)… has to do with us having such a sparse population over a HUGE mass of country… so renting in NF and dropping in Toronto will still cost you money.

Truthfully in this part of Southern Ontario (Canada’s most populated) there really isn’t a need for a car at all… and it can be a lot more of a hassle than anything else (high cost of parking, serious traffic etc)

One can easily enough get from the Buffalo Airport to Niagara Falls, Canada… and from NF to Toronto… and DEFINITELY no need for a car in Toronto !!

Public Transit between NF and Toronto is excellent... Trains and Buses... and they run frequently (see the FAQ entitled *How Do I Get to Niagara Falls*)

The only time a car might come in handy is if you wish to explore further afield in the Niagara Peninsula itself (the area that lies between the two Great Lakes of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario) … this is predominantly farmland with little or no public transit options… and yet very scenic, historic and interesting… Niagara Escarpment, 2 Great Lakes, Ontario’s Premier Wine Country, and Tenderfruit Region, War of 1812 Sites, Engineering Marvel that is the Welland Canal… and Historic Niagara-on-the-Lake.

Many Travellers opt to rent a car just for a day, to make a circuit and see the sites… having the car delivered to them at their Hotel in NF, and then picked up there when they are done with it.

I think before we can give you additional advice on car rentals… it would be necessary to know more about your Itinerary… does you visit to Canada include places beyond Toronto ?

The more info you give us, the more we can customize our replies to you.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 20 March 2012, 20:19
London, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buffalo Niagara Airport to Niagara Falls Canada

Hi Wine-4-2,

Thanks for your very useful and informative post. To be honest, I was hoping I could avoid the car rental given the extra expense and hassle and your advice has confirmed that. I guess I just didn't have enough knowledge of public transport options but I've also done some extra reading on here and I'm now comfortable we can do without a car. We don't plan to stay long at Niagara Falls and Toronto - only a couple of days each so I'm happy to ditch the rental car plan!

I've managed to get one quote for a taxi for 2 from Buffalo Niagara Airport to our hotel (Marriott Fallsview) which was $83.25. Is that reasonable? I'll have a look through the threads you recommend but if there's a cheaper alternative I could take without too much hassle, please point it out!

Similarly, looks like the Greyhound Bus is my best bet to get from Niagara Falls to Toronto - if I purchase a 14-day advance ticket, it'll be $25 each.

Thanks,

Freddy

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,131 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buffalo Niagara Airport to Niagara Falls Canada

Try Megabus, fares from NF to Toronto should be cheaper than $25, possibly even $1.

http://ca.megabus.com/default.aspx

London, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buffalo Niagara Airport to Niagara Falls Canada

Perfect! Thanks fallsdude!

5. Re: Buffalo Niagara Airport to Niagara Falls Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2013, 09:26