We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a Visa to cross to the US side of Niagara

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Staffordshire
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need a Visa to cross to the US side of Niagara

I am a British citizen and will be staying in Canada for two weeks and whilst there plan to visit Niagara and cross the border to the US. Do I need a visa? If so how do I obtain it?

thanks

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,717 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a Visa to cross to the US side of Niagara

You do not need a visa, but when you cross the border,you will be required to obtain an I94-W Visa Waiver. This consists of filling in a form, being photographed and fingerprinted, and paying $6. This will be attached to your passport, and must be returned to U.S. Customs when leaving the country. If you are returning to Canada first, you can give the form to Canada Customs.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,068 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a Visa to cross to the US side of Niagara

Hi stuck_in_stoke;

Just to add to my esteemed colleague Fallsdude's comments...

To apply for the I-94W Visa Waiver, you must first clear US Customs. You can NOT pre-apply for the Visa Waiver.

The process of obtaining the I-94W waiver takes on average ½ an hour.

Best Regards

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a Visa to cross to the US side of Niagara

Just want to check with the experts on here, as back in 1998 (last time I was in Niagara), I was officially deported from the USA whilst trying to cross the Rainbow bridge to the American side of the falls to take photo's, due to lack of funds,

Basically I had no US currency to pay the entry fee, only Canadian dollars. Can this charge now be paid in Canadian dollars ?, or have the border officials seen sense at last ?

I do have a valid ESTA in place until April 2013.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,068 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need a Visa to cross to the US side of Niagara

Hi jaynewcastle11;

Just so you know, it is proper forum Netiquette to start a new question rather than "tag on" to an existing one... so as not to confuse the replies for the original poster who sometimes has also opted to receive email notifications when replies are posted to "their" topic.

The American ESTA program does NOT apply to land crossings from Canada into the US.

The $6 I-94W Visa Waiver fee must be paid in US dollars.

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need a Visa to cross to the US side of Niagara

It scares me that you say you were "officially deported" from the USA. One of the eligibility questions for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) is, "Have you ever been denied a U.S. visa or entry into the U.S. or had a U.S. visa canceled?", and typically a Yes answer would prevent you from receiving an ESTA or entering the US under the VWP.

If you answered Yes to this question on your ESTA and provided the details of your prior experience, then I'm less concerned. Or, if you weren't really deported but instead allowed to withdraw your application to enter the US, you're probably OK. But depending on exactly how that situation was handled, you may not be eligible for the Visa Waiver Program and would need a full visa to enter the United States. I'm not an immigration professional and you should really consider contacting one if the US leg of your trip is important to you.

Edited: 04 May 2012, 01:35
detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,528 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need a Visa to cross to the US side of Niagara

Ugh, 1998 was still "the good old days"

You certain it was just lack of funds ? Not your ID-birth place was not certain ?

Things I would say are smoother, more pleasant crossing in to the USA then it was 5--6 years ago...was shock how they stop yelling commands at you when our bus was inspected last summer at the Detroit tunnel. And after we were cleared, we could each get back on the bus...4 or 5 years ago, we all had to stand outside the bus until the last person was cleared...and we were watched like a hawk, one dude spark a cig up and he got one puff and 3 officers in different directions started yelling, put the cig out now. I thought I was in a mini boot camp, ha ha

But in 1998 things were not bad at all, JMO

Edited: 04 May 2012, 02:43
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need a Visa to cross to the US side of Niagara

TO JAYNEWCASTLE11,

Different country, different currency. Plain and simple.

What was true in 1998 holds true today...

Ya can't use Canadian Dollars or Euros in the USA or any other currency for that matter. Just good old American Cash !!

Don't imagine that is going to change any time soon.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 04 May 2012, 10:56
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need a Visa to cross to the US side of Niagara

Thank you for your advice, & sorry I didn't start a new thread, I didn't think it was necessary.

Good to note you still need US currency to pay the entry fee when crossing the bridge, & I will certainly have some this time.

9. Re: Do I need a Visa to cross to the US side of Niagara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 21:15