We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Niagara Falls Ontario from Rossburn Manitoba

Saskatchewan, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
Driving to Niagara Falls Ontario from Rossburn Manitoba

Ok, I am not sure if anyone will be able to help me here, but this is worth a shot. We are leaving for Niagara Falls in mid-August by car. Our leaving point is Rossburn, Manitoba on Sunday, Aug.14th and I have to be in Niagara Falls by Tuesday, August 16, 2006. What I need to know is there a less complicated way of getting to Niagara Falls by staying on the Canadian roads. My husband does not want to go via the states. I guess I also need suggestions of nice towns along the way to stay overnight, keeping in mind, that I have two children, ages 9 and 12 accompanying me on this trip. Any suggestions for a simple route and lodgings for along the way are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

stardust294

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Niagara Falls Ontario from Rossburn Manitoba

Hi there,

Sorry to say there is no easy way to drive that distance with your time frame.

The easiest route in Canada would be:

Rossburn -> Thunder Bay (12.5 hrs)

Thunder Bay ->Timmins (10.5 hrs)

Timmins -> Niagara Falls (9.5 hrs)

for a total of 32.5 hrs of driving.

Going the US route would take 25.5 hrs and probably cost less in gas.

I've done both as a kid, and an adult (with no kids) and unless your kids sleep well in the car, plan to take at least an extra day for the trip. If you can't, those would be the recommended cities for stops.

Check the forum for reliable and convenient motels for accomodations.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g155017-Thunder_Bay_O…

Saskatchewan, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Niagara Falls Ontario from Rossburn Manitoba

Thank you Tobie for your fast reply. I wrote down the suggested way, and I will have to seriously rethink this. My only problem is that I will be working on Saturday the 13th, don't get off till 6, so that is why we figured we would leave Saturday night as far as Rossburn, Manitoba, and take it from there for heading to Niagara Falls. I really can't take an extra day for driving seeing as I have the room booked on Tuesday at the Embassy Suites.

Is there a possibility of you giving me the way via the states from Rossburn Manitoba.

Thanks, and again any reply would be greatly appreciated.

stardust294

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Niagara Falls Ontario from Rossburn Manitoba

Any mapquest/maps.google.ca directions will give you the directions via the USA.

Saskatchewan, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Niagara Falls Ontario from Rossburn Manitoba

Thank you very much for that information, poly. I will most definately check that out. I would like the simplest and quickest way to get to Niagara Falls from my home here in Saskatchewan.

stardust294

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Niagara Falls Ontario from Rossburn Manitoba

stardust, mapquest is a great site, and will give you excellent directions, if I were you i'd try to go to the US and take a route from there, you'll save plenty of time.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Niagara Falls Ontario from Rossburn Manitoba

I'd also suggest visiting your local CAA office and getting a triptik for this drive. It makes the whole experience much easier and they'll do it for the route through the States or Canada. The drive through the States would be my recommendation too unless you can take more time.

As far as your hotel reservations, most places will give you 48hr cancellation so check your reservation if that's the only stipulation for arrival on the Tuesday. If you can take a little extra time it would be easier on everyone. Maybe add a day on the end instead if the payment is final. It's a very long trip.

The mapquest.ca site is usually very accurate for time and distances in my experience if you're planning. If you did have time for the "scenic route" northern Ontario is beautiful.