We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware Of Room Upgrade Charges

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beware Of Room Upgrade Charges

As a former Hotel front desk employee I feel the need to fill you travellers in on something .. When u go to the major hotels in niagara falls they will ask you if you would like to upgrade your room to a fallsview suite for a small price of $50 dollars or so.. and of course ur thinking hey im already spending a few hundred if not more its only another 50 dollars why not .

Now gettin to the point 95 % of the time its just a scam .. what they are trying to do is sell u the same room for more money. and by doing so they are rewarded with prizes for "upselling" now sometimes its an actual upgrade but like i said its usually not.. cause u know what u reserved when u booked ur room. so beware of these charges.. and remember to stay money smart when ur here .. cause trust me there is better things to spend $50 dollars on then spending it on the room u already booked ...

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware Of Room Upgrade Charges

That's not true.. at the hotels I've worked at, if you book a room say from floors 3-9 or something, for the upgrade money you're getting a room on a higher floor, or a bigger bed, etc. I've never heard of a hotel that will upgrade you to the -exact same room- you've booked - same floor and everything.

Although I have heard of people not accepting the charge for the upgrade and getting upgraded anyways because they've overbooked the room type you already booked........

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware Of Room Upgrade Charges

i agree with what Polywog has said...You get

a higher room..with a better view

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,569 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware Of Room Upgrade Charges

And by paying the $50, you might also upgrade yourself to the rack rate :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
407 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware Of Room Upgrade Charges

I know when we booked our 'No View' room what that meant. I read the reviews for the hotel we were staying at, and indeed...NO view meant NO view. For $100/night seemed fair for no view, thinking that I would upgrade when we arrived. And we did pay the extra $50/night.

Looking around at other hotels in the area, $150/night for a falls view sounded right. I'm talking including taxes and fees.

In this instance, it paid off for us to upgrade once we arrived. There were few fallview rooms left, timing was everything.

However, I've had experiences in other cities of front desk clerks offered to upgrade us to better rooms for free, just because they were available. I didn't get that vibe from Niagara. I don't blame them. The view is why people stay, it's the money maker.

Funny thing to mention though, when I asked if the room had a fridge (knowing it did not), the clerk responded, "No, but I can get you one for ...this price" as she held up a calculator with 50 on the screen. I laughed out loud!

Let's see.... $50/night for a fallsview or a cold beer? Guess how fast we asked how far our room was from the ice machine!

LOL!

Tina

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware Of Room Upgrade Charges

You can also ask to see the room that you booked and the room you've been offered to upgrade to when a situation like this arises, and base the decision on that!

Ontario
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware Of Room Upgrade Charges

Muffin, I don't know what you are talking about, or what hotel front desk yo worked at but I have been a Front desk agent and supervisor for 9 years and when we offer to upgrade for $50 we mean an upgrade, we do not scam which is what you are implying. Most or all the big hotels inNiagara offer these upgrades and they are real upgrades!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
915 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware Of Room Upgrade Charges

Yes this seems rather out in left field to me too. My only experience with a NF upgrade was being pleasantly surprised by the offer of a courtesy upgrade at the Courtyard Marriott during a particularly dead mid-winter, mid-week occassion.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware Of Room Upgrade Charges

I agree with polywog. Compare the two rooms and ask to see them to satisfy you. The "view" rooms are usually in increments of several floors. What may be an actual upgrade may only be 1 or 2 floors higher( book room on floors 5-10 -your room is floor 9, upgraded room is floor 12 as an example) and not really any different view. If you are offered an upgrade from floor 9 to 20, it may be worth the extra$$$

Also be sure to find out up front how much the upgrade will cost you. People here have complained in the past that they didn't find out until later it was NOT a complimentary upgrade. But if you check out the rooms first and get the money issue settled, you'll be happy with any decision

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware Of Room Upgrade Charges

I am not to sure how the Hotels in Niagra Falls upgrade.........I can tell you in the past I have handed desk clerks $$$ in Las Vegas and Hawaii and was upgraded to suites..... Maybe somtimes it just depends on the clerk and the $$$

zoy
Niagara Falls
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware Of Room Upgrade Charges

I completely agree wih muffin13. There is scams out there, well at least at the hotel I worked in. Who knows, maybe muffin worked at the same one as me.

We used to upgrade people to the exact room they booked, for addition money, sometimes into the hundreds. And when we would overbook, we would send tourist away with no room, telling them a pipe had broke in their room, so we could not rent it to them. This would leave people roomless on nights when the whole city was filled. Come prepared to sleep in your car.