We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary trip

Royersford...
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anniversary trip

I actually have a few questions so please bear with me. My wife and I are driving to Niagara from near Philly on Thursday the 25th. This will be our first trip. Our itinerary is as follows:

Thursday: Drive to Niagara (leaving 5am) with a few stops. May grab a late lunch in Buffalo at the Anchor Bar (good idea?) and hope to arrive to the Hilton by late afternoon.

Friday: Explore the Falls on Canada and US side. 7PM anniversary dinner at the Watermark

Saturday: Explore Niagara region in Canada and staying overnight in NOTL

Sunday: Drive to Watkins Glen via Fort Niagara for an overnight

Monday: Complete drive home

Now I know that some of the attractions will be closing a few days before we travel (oh well) so there will be less for us to cram in on a visit. Questions are:

Will there be bus service in Niagara CA and NY? We plan on walking across the Rainbow Bridge but bus service would be a time saver and keep the walking down.

Any attractions we shouldn't miss in either that will be open?

Should we take the Peace Bridge on the way up from Buffalo or should we travel up and take the Rainbow Bridge?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks for your help.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary trip

There is no public transportation between Niagara Falls, ON and Niagara Falls, NY. Walking or taxi are the options.

In Niagara Falls, ON, the WEGO buses will get you to most places.

Journey Behind the Falls will give you a closeup encounter with the Horseshoe Falls, while the Skylon Tower or Skywheel will offer more panoramic views.

At this time of year, either bridge should be OK. Why not count on using the Rainbow Bridge, and stopping on the U.S. side on the way. You can see the Falls from that side (there's really no attractions to do), and then come across to the Canadian side.

Just a note: although Fort Niagara is right across the river, and quite visible, from Niagara on the Lake, it is a 15 mile drive to get to - you have to go back upriver to the Queenston/Lewiston Bridge and then back down to Youngstown.

Royersford...
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary trip

Thanks Fallsdude. Sorry for the misunderstanding on the transportation. I knew that walking across the bridge was an option but I read that the WEGO bus on Canada side ends this week. Is that true and if it is, is there another option? I also read that the NY Park has it's own transportation, is that true too? Just trying to cut down on some walking here.

As for Fort Niagara, we will have to travel back to NY across the Queenston/Lewiston Bridge anyway so we might as well travel the 15 minutes to see the Fort.

Brooklyn, Ohio
Level Contributor
655 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary trip

We always use the Peace Bridge. Once in Canada, the drive along the Niagara Parkway is very scenic. You have the Niagara River on your right and on your left will be many nice/big/expensive homes.

If you do decide to use the Peace Bridge, stay alert once you get through Customs. You will be funneled right onto the QEW. If you want to take the Niagara Parkway you have to get over to the right immediately after getting through the check point and take the very first exit for Central Ave. Once on the Central Ave. exit do not turn onto Central. Go straight onto Queen Street. Queen Street will then deadend at the Niagara Parkway. Definitely check the map beforehand so that you are familiar with where to go.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary trip

WEGO operates year round, but on a reduced schedule (and price) from October 25 to April 14.

Niagara Falls (NY) State Park has a trolley that will still be operating at that time.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,369 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary trip

I agree with you, your idea of grabbing a late lunch at The Anchor Bar is a good one IMO, I know I've always enjoyed their wings :)

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary trip

If I'm not mistaken, the Anchor Bar is where the Buffalo chicken wing was born and the bar made them into the popular pub staple they've become today....right across the USA and Canada coast to coast. The term "Buffalo Wings" comes from the Anchor Bar.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,369 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary trip

You're right krusty :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anniversary trip

The Anchor Bar is worth the trip! There and Duff's Wings (closer to the airport, btw) are neck and neck (or wing and wing) for best wings in Buffalo....

Royersford...
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Anniversary trip

Should hopefully be hitting Buffalo around 1:30 or 2ish so I am definitely a quick stop at Anchor. Don't know when I will be through Buffalo again! Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully I'm not too exhausted from the driving!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,369 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anniversary trip

Try a few of their XHot wings.................they'll perk you up! :)