We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Canada?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
258 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Canada?

Okay, so we gave in and are renting a car....So my question is, are there any special or very different driving laws than in the US? I'm sure the laws are different, but does anyone know HOW different? Or if there is a site we can look up the laws? Thanks for any help/advice!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Canada?

Driving laws are very much the same but for some links to highway travel information have a look here:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Canada?

I've heard somewhere before that in the usa you can't turn right on a red light..? Cause you can do that here lol

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
258 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Canada?

I think there are some states in the US where you cannot turn right on Red. However, here in North Carolina, we can too. It's good to know that you can up there too!

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
452 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Canada?

Also, as said the driving laws are about the same, but Canada uses kilometers instead of miles. This will affect speed limits, distances, etc. Maybe everyone already knew this, but just thought it couldn't hurt to point it out.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
258 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Canada?

Thanks nettieplee. That's one of those things that we knew, but hadn't really thought about! A great reminder!

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Canada?

Yeah I didn't think about that either lol

The speed limits are about the same, but they'll be posted on the highway as 100kph and 50kph (on most streets- some of them are 60kph)

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Canada?

The laws are mostly the same... Most important is to wear your seatbelt... Also, I read on a website somewhere that there is a street on States side in New York that the speed limit is really slow... people go faster and almost always there is a cop there to pull you over...

Also, just to let you know... 100kmh is about 60mph... And 50kmh is about 30mph... So, the limits are comparable to what you would normally drive too... clear as mud huh?? :)

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Canada?

Hey, yes most of the driving laws are the same, just remember to obey the speed limit, stop at red lights and most important wear a seatbelt haha, I would hate for you to get a ticket, Cops are everywhere haha, Have a great trip.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,318 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in Canada?

every passenger must wear a seat belt. No radar detector allowed in Ontaio. If you have one, make sure you put it in the trunk, or you lose the detector AND pay a fine.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,303 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving in Canada?

Always keep in mind that the rules are pretty much identical on either sides of the border, but just like there are local variations in the States (ie: driving rules that might affect all of one state), there are local variations in Canada as well. However, overall, the rules are the same... it's just that gas is sold in dollars per litre, distances are in kilometers (km), and speeds are in km/h.