We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

feedback re: activities/hotel choice requested!!!!

NJ
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
feedback re: activities/hotel choice requested!!!!

I will be staying at the Quality Inn in St. Catharines Memorial Day weekend and wanted to know if anybody had any thoughts/experiences regarding this particular hotel and whether or not activities, restaurants, etc. were within walking distance. This is my first trip to see the Falls (on the canadian side) but I'm totally clueless regarding any other activities in the area, so any info provided would be greatly appreciated!!!!

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: feedback re: activities/hotel choice requested!!!!

There isn't really much to do in St. Catharines..... you realize though that you're staying about a 10-20min highway drive away from Niagara Falls & all those attractions, right?

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: feedback re: activities/hotel choice requested!!!!

There isn't really much to do in St. Catharines..... you realize though that you're staying about a 10-20min highway drive away from Niagara Falls & all those attractions, right?

NJ
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: feedback re: activities/hotel choice requested!!!!

thank you for responding to my post- yes, we were aware of the distance which was actually what we wanted since we didn't want to be right in the center of everything. St. Catharine's was described to me as a nice, quiet, quaint town not too far but far enough from the "action". I just wanted to get some ideas regarding whether or not it was a walkable town and whether there were maybe some restaurants, stuff to do close to the hotel.

htm
St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
243 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: feedback re: activities/hotel choice requested!!!!

Quality Inn is not located in a nice walkable area. There's a GM plant next door and then several car dealerships, plazas and restaurants/fast food around.

You may want to drive down to Port Dalhousie where you can walk around for an hour. It's St. Catharines beach area with a small beach and park, charming carousel, ice cream parlours, bars, marina, and restaurants.

You may also want to check out the canal if you're into that stuff. Specifically Lock 3 (small museum, viewing area). There is also a nice path along the canal.

If you get desperate for activites there is also Parkway bowling at your hotel (with black light at night), Happy Rolph's petting zoo just over the canal (it's free), or you can walk downtown St. Catharines.

NJ
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: feedback re: activities/hotel choice requested!!!!

thanks so much for your info!!! is downtown St. Catharines within walking distance from this hotel? if not, are buses/taxis pretty easy to access?

thanks again...

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: feedback re: activities/hotel choice requested!!!!

downtown St Cath is probably about a 30 min walk from your hotel. Taxi's would not be hard to get at all..the front desk can call for you.

St Catharines is a beautiful city...you are not RIGHT NEXT DOOR to the GM plant, that is an exaggeration!! You are a little bit down the street (2 stoplights). So, its not like you are going to walk out the hotel and just see a GM PLANT!! Its a commercial area, so yes, restaurants, plazas, etc. You made the right decision staying a little bit away from the falls, and chances are, saved yourself some cash!

Enjoy your stay!

Be sure to visit some wineries, golf (grandniagararesort.com), Port Dalhousie, Niagara on the Lake, and of course, the FALLS!

NJ
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: feedback re: activities/hotel choice requested!!!!

thanks for the info...I was getting concerned that I was going to be staying in some alley in the middle of nowhere....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no problem walking to places; I lived in Manhattan for a few years so that's not a problem at all, and I actually prefer it to driving, taking the bus, etc. My major concern was that I was going to be in an area that was mostly highways and really pedestrian friendly, but it sounds like I'll be fine:)

thanks again, and I'll definitely try to check out the other activities you mentioned...!!!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: feedback re: activities/hotel choice requested!!!!

I've stayed there and it is okay for saving a bunch of money though I'd probably now suggest the Best Western in Jordan (on the highway just out of town but with a fabulous lakeview location). The hotel is not in the middle of nowhere but is in the middle of not very much. For St. Catharines itself the old Port Dalhousie (pronounce Dah loozie) area is worth a visit as is the Lock 3 viewing area to look at the ships moving through the Welland Canal + a local museum. If you are with kids then Happy Rolf's bird sanctuary which also has a very moving memorial to the Canadian victims of 9/11. Beyond that, definitely Niagara-on-the-Lake as well as the Falls. Have a great visit.

9. Re: feedback re: activities/hotel choice requested!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 23:17