We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing back into America,timing?

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wollongong...
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing back into America,timing?

ive noticed that people are saying it takes a while to cross back over into America on the rainbow bridge and i dont want to miss my flight from BUF that leaves at 5.10pm, so how long should i leave for crossing back over the bridge to have plenty of time to get to the airport, return hire car and check in for a delta flight(will be on 10 september 2013)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing back into America,timing?

It being a Tuesday afternoon, the wait times should not be that bad, considering you want to be there an hour to hour and a half early, it takes about thirty minutes from the Rainbow Bridge, you'd want to be at the border at 2-230 latest...it is always easiest to get over the border and take your time to get to the airport IMO...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing back into America,timing?

You can get live border wait times at any time by going to http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/ or by calling (from within North America, toll-free) 1-800-715-6722.

As an Australian citizen, you'd need to leave extra time for I-94W paperwork if you were entering the US for the first time on this trip. But it sounds like you're returning after a side-trip to Canada, so that wouldn't apply. Still, bear in mind that unexpected border delays are possible at any time.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,761 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing back into America,timing?

melmo..........I'd give it as much time as possible.............I'd rather cross the border and wait on the U.S. side and err on the side of caution.....I'd be at the border crossing well before 1 o'clock........

Edited: 17 January 2013, 13:21
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing back into America,timing?

I agree that I'd leave plenty of time. Although average wait times may be low, you never know if you will be pulled over for secondary inspection. That usually doesn't take long, but you just never know.

ktown

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing back into America,timing?

thanks for the help, sounds like we need to be heading for the boarder about 2-2.30pm

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crossing back into America,timing?

Um, no, you need to be AT the border by 2:30 at the latest. That means getting in line for the border crossing at 1 pm. Add in the time it will take you to actually get to the border. Are you staying in Niagara Falls? Toronto?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Crossing back into America,timing?

Boulders, are you saying to expect a 90-minute wait between arriving at, say, the Rainbow Bridge and reaching the border officer in the booth? That'd be unusual for a midweek afternoon, though the live wait times mentioned in reply #2 would be the best way to find out.

If you've reached the booth by 2:30, if you get pulled into secondary inspection (not likely, but possible) there's still some risk of missing your flight. If you're just flying elsewhere in the US and could get a new ticket if you had to, that's probably fine. If you're flying from BUF to a bigger airport to catch an overseas flight that night, there's a much higher cost to the risk you're taking.

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crossing back into America,timing?

I'm saying to prepare for worst case scenario. I've crossed the border many many times. Usually it takes an hour. Sometimes longer. It's also taken me an hour to check in at the Delta counters in BUF. Sometimes it takes longer. As a previous poster said, it's better to be waiting on the other side of the border for your flight than be stuck in traffic. Also, the OP seemed to think it was OK to get in their car AT 2- 2:30, which I would definitely not recommend, even if they are starting in Niagara Falls.

9. Re: Crossing back into America,timing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 05:16