We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arriving at Buffalo apt just before midnight - border cross

South Africa
Level Contributor
395 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
arriving at Buffalo apt just before midnight - border cross

Hi there

I have some friends who arrive in Buffalo just before midnight - but would like to go straight to the Canadian side and stay in a "falls view" hotel on that side. I presume that the border is open 24 hours and would a taxi or a private transfer be the better option? thanks in advance!!

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,909 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: arriving at Buffalo apt just before midnight - border cross

Either will work, but a pre-arranged shuttle will have a set price and no problem crossing the border. Not all taxi drivers will be able to cross, and rates could vary wildly. Have a look at "Top questions about Niagara Falls" above to see the options.

BTW, if your friends are also from South Africa, they will require visas to enter Canada, which must be obtained prior to their visit.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: arriving at Buffalo apt just before midnight - border cross

And yes, the general border crossings in the Niagara area are open 24 hours a day, every day of the year.

South Africa
Level Contributor
395 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: arriving at Buffalo apt just before midnight - border cross

Thanks very much, yes - they will already have their USA and Canadian visas before departing South Africa.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
95 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arriving at Buffalo apt just before midnight - border cross

I have a 10:40pm arrival time into Buffalo. We're driving to Toronto bright and early the next morning. Is it better to spend the night in Buffalo and tackle the border crossing in the morning? Or is it better to cross the border yet that night and stay somewhere on the Canadian side and then drive to Toronto? (We are US citizens with passports.)

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,204 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: arriving at Buffalo apt just before midnight - border cross

mdevries - personally I'd just stay near the Buffalo airport and then set off for Toronto in the morning. Figure by the time you disembark and get luggage, pick up rental car, etc - it's going to be closer to 11:30pm. Do you really want to set out on unfamiliar roads in the dark?

On thing to note - if you are arriving in Toronto on a weekday, the morning rush hour into the city starts about 6:30am and ends about 9-9:30am. You should factor that into your travel plans if you need to be in the city for a certain time.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
95 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: arriving at Buffalo apt just before midnight - border cross

So about how long will it take for me to get to Toronto on a weekday morning from the Buffalo airport? I would like to arrive around 10am if I could.

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: arriving at Buffalo apt just before midnight - border cross

If you stay on the Canadian side, the border crossing will probably be quicker late at night. No traffic usually.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: arriving at Buffalo apt just before midnight - border cross

Depending on where in Toronto you have to be by 10am, I'd cross over and plan to stay near your destination then it gives you the optimum amount of time to sleep in and not worry about traffic in the morning....depending on the day, it could be double the time to get to Toronto that it will take you if you cross around 11-1130 at night...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
467 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: arriving at Buffalo apt just before midnight - border cross

I agree with the others - if arriving in Buffalo on a weeknight, I would head straight to Toronto, avoid the traffic, and sleep in in the morning.

If you were to leave from the Buffalo airport to arrive in Toronto on a weekday morning by 10AM, you would want to be on the road by 6:30 or 7 to allow for border crossing and rush hour traffic.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,599 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: arriving at Buffalo apt just before midnight - border cross

Isn't Texas an hour behind us or is it 2 hours.

It depends what time you normally go to sleep, me its around 1--2 am, so I would travel at night over to Toronto and not have to wake up early to get to Toronto by 10 am but that is me.

Customs can get very busy early in the morning, 8 am. Going at 11:30 pm likely will be a shorter line and the drive to Toronto will be far less traffic. Just pay attention to those road signs or get a GPS with the rental car.