We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip in Niagara Falls....

Surrey
Level Contributor
100 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip in Niagara Falls....

We are planning to stay in Niagara Falls, Canada side for a day and a night,,,, leaving on morning flight the next day. My main interest of this trip is to see the maid of the mist,,, and a little of the surrounding areas. However, as we have the whole day and night there, I was wondering, if we hire a car, is it worth driving to Toronto town centre to have a quick look around and dinner there?

Can someone advise me if that would be too much work, as I was reading some review on traffic going in and out of Toronto? If I was to go ahead, I assume to leave Niagara after lunch,,, setting out early to see the Falls. Then, drive about 1 and half hour to Toronto,,, then, quick tour around,,, dinner there and drive back to hotel in Niagara fall area in the evening.

Scenic Tours of Niagara
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Magnificent Tours of Niagara Falls
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Bus Tours, Day Trips
King Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,831 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip in Niagara Falls....

I thought you'd sorted this out in your previous post:

tripadvisor.com/…47062625

Personally I'd say it's a waste of your time. You obviously don't consider Canada's largest city to be a highlight of your trip, so why bother. It deserves more than a 2-3 hour look around.

Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip in Niagara Falls....

I'd say stick to niagara falls for the day. There is plenty to do along the river and you can buy a day pass that includes everything as well as bus travel down the river. Niagara on the lake is very close and people love it for the wineries. Stay in the niagara region and avoid the toronto traffic.

Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
429 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip in Niagara Falls....

I would just stay in niagara and enjoy your time as there is lots to see and do and hopefully make it to Toronto another time. I would also recommend spending a couple hours of your day visiting niagara on the lake.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip in Niagara Falls....

On my last trip I considered a day trip to Toronto or just one night.

90% of folks like to do a day trip of Niagara Falls and spend most their time in Toronto. Well I spent many nights in both cities, for me, I enjoy the falls area better. more peaceful, relaxing, maybe more boring yet the only thing I really enjoy more in Toronto is the public transportation and the TV stations in the hotel rooms. Niagara is lacking in those two areas. My last trip I skip Toronto all together, same with the trip last fall. Made it up to the falls 3 separate times and Toronto only once last year, this year is off to the same pace.

Only U can decided which is best for U. Are you more in to county living or the big city life ? I thought I was a big city person but I guess not.

Edited: 04 March 2013, 00:16
detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip in Niagara Falls....

There is buses all day long, starting around 6am and going to around midnight to Toronto and back. So leaving the falls around 9am and getting back to your hotel room that evening is possible, you just be on the bus for around 5 hours both ways, that still could leave 6--7 hours to explore Toronto.

I'm not sure if I hire a car, you have to also pay for parking in Toronto. It would be a little quicker but more stressful.

Yet you only be in the falls for what, one night--there is more to see and do in Niagara then just look at the falls for 30 mins, IMO

We can only offer advice and I have found most the times the advice is pretty helpful but not all the time. I found a neat fudge shop with caramel apples for $3.99 right in the middle of Clifton Hill in Niagara. All I have heard about Clifton Hill on here is its overpriced--a big rip off, well that was the best $3.99 candy apple I have ever had, lol. The stores around here they are $5 and up--even $15 for a big fancy one. I kind of avoided spending time right in Clifton Hill cause of advice on here, yet I had time to kill well waiting for the pizza place to open at noon and with no bike I just walked around and found the fudge shop--I will be going back there.

Good luck what ever U decide to do

Edited: 04 March 2013, 00:30
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip in Niagara Falls....

One day trip, I would definitely rent a car, a lot more freedom to do what you want to do....

Surrey
Level Contributor
100 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip in Niagara Falls....

Hi 'stillsmoking'... thanx for your advise. Gosh , you must love the Falls very well, You keep going back, are you from Canada? It is our first time going to Canada, as you can I'm very greedy, we are going from London to Vancouver first, then, the Falls and Nyc after. By the look of things, I think I will definitely give the Toronto city a miss. I was reading about the terrible traffic problem going in and out of Toronto.

As with hiring a car, as I have read many reviews regarding the taxi fare or other transport, thought the car will be more free and probably same cost. still will add up and see.

So, for now, will research more about other things to do and see at Niagara falls, thanks again...I agree, I always find the tripadvisor Q and A are very useful.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip in Niagara Falls....

Traffic in the GTA can be rough just do you know...

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,831 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip in Niagara Falls....

And just so you know - driving in Vancouver can be pretty miserable also...

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip in Niagara Falls....

Rather than trying to do Toronto for a day trip you'll be better off going to Niagara on the Lake instead. It's beautiful.

You could try lunch on the terrace at the golf club there - nice views of the water.