We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Some Help. Going For NEXUS Interview In Niagara Falls

Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
632 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Need Some Help. Going For NEXUS Interview In Niagara Falls

OK I got conditionally approved for a NEXUS card, now have to schedule an interview and get my picture taken and iris scan. Thing is there are no dates available between now and June, that is as far ahead that they give dates on the website, at the Toronto Airport. I have to schedule an interview within 30 days (does not mean the interview has to be in that time frame, just have to schedule one). Now I can go to Niagara Falls and the interview is on the US side at the Whirlpool Bridge. Then I will have to get my iris scan on the Canadian side.

Now I can get an interview this month, thing that is a bit of an inconvenience is, I do not own a car and so I will just take the Fallsview Bus out for that day. I can walk across the Rainbow Bridge and grab a cab for a short ride to the Whirlpool Bridge, BUT where could I get a cab from there back to the Rainbow Bridge? I do not think that US Customs will allow me to walk across the Whirlpool Bridge as no one can nowadays, so I will have to head back to the Rainbow Bridge, cross over and head over to the Whirlpool Bridge on our side. Confusing? I thought so. But it is the easier way I can do it and sooner.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Some Help. Going For NEXUS Interview In Niagara Falls

Here is my advice..do what many have done. Schedule an appointment wherever you want (say Fort Erie). Keep checking the GOES website and look for cancellations at Toronto Airport...believe me, there will be cancellations. Keep your browser open if required and check every hour or so or more. As soon as you see a cancellation, grab it.

Worked well for many people. Send me private message if you want more info.

Re Whirlpool Bridge-you are right. Must cross over Rainbow, get to Whirlpool Bridge US side, and you will not be able to walk back. I suggest you go to Fort Erie, where the entire interview , iris scan and US part of it is all on the Canadian side. Rent a car if you must and drive to Fort Erie.

Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
632 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Some Help. Going For NEXUS Interview In Niagara Falls

I actually misread the available dates, June 5th is the earliest I could get for Niagara Falls so I booked it. Will keep looking for Toronto dates open. What a long wait to get the interview, before you know it there will be more people with Nexus Cards in North America than people with Passports. Buddy of mine just moved out to Niagara area and said he would drive me across and back no problem.

Edited: 06 March 2013, 03:00
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Some Help. Going For NEXUS Interview In Niagara Falls

Just keep checking the YZZ cancellations...my wife found one within a few days of looking....others had same result

Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
632 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Some Help. Going For NEXUS Interview In Niagara Falls

Thanks guys, just got an earlier Toronto appointment for Monday April 1st. Not bad.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Some Help. Going For NEXUS Interview In Niagara Falls

Ah..the old monitor the cancellation trick still works. Make sure you bring all the stuff they want to see document wise. It's more of a teach you how to use Nexus/Global entry and give you a lot of literature.

Gotta say it--getting Nexus and Global Entry together makes going to the US a breeze compared to the normal procedures. Turns possible 1 hour waiting at customs/immigration into a 3 to 5 minute procedure,

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,635 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Some Help. Going For NEXUS Interview In Niagara Falls

How often do you have to cross for NEXUS.

I thought it was for like people who work in another country and cross the border several times a week ? Doesn't sound as you cross all too often ? I cross the border around 5--10 times a year--guess it might be 15--20 if it was quicker and easier. Sometimes I go to Niagara and skip crossing the border into NY just cause if the maybe hassle and time it takes. I hate waiting in long lines, lol

Edited: 09 March 2013, 02:10
Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
632 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Some Help. Going For NEXUS Interview In Niagara Falls

I thought the same BUT in December when I was crossing over to Buffalo to fly out to Vegas, the US Customs Officer said "I notice you have come to the US a lot this year. Have you thought of applying for a Nexus Card?" As that was my 4th trip to Vegas, and had gone to Chicago 3 times also. In January when I walked over to the US side of Niagara, the samething was said to me. So I figured why not.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Some Help. Going For NEXUS Interview In Niagara Falls

There's no minimum number of trips -- if you're willing to pay the fees, do the paperwork, and appear for an interview, you're welcome to apply. In practice, it's too much hassle to get for only a trip or two.

It should also be noted that not everyone will qualify for a NEXUS card. They may decide, based on all kinds of information, that they'd rather have someone go through the regular lanes where they're subject to more scrutiny on each trip.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Some Help. Going For NEXUS Interview In Niagara Falls

Someone told me they go to the states twice a year and nexus was the way thing they ever done...some people hate lines that much!

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,635 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Some Help. Going For NEXUS Interview In Niagara Falls

I never been told to get one, so maybe I don't qualify ?

The fee of $50 while modest is still $50...Maybe I inquire about it next time at US customs. Yeah both sides need to approve you.

Edited: 09 March 2013, 14:44